turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a letter from IRS with phone number to call to confirm my identity. Is this a legitimate request? The number to call is [removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I got a letter from IRS with phone number to call to confirm my identity. Is this a legitimate request? The number to call is [removed]

Letter 5071C is a legitimate letter sent from the IRS. Please view the IRS link below for more details.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/taxpayers-receiving-identity-verification-letter-should-use-idverif...

ccmccone

I'e tried calling the ITS hotline and I can never get a real person. I'e been waiting over 21 days for them to process my return and it still has not been processed what' the deal.

@ccmccone Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

I copied this from another post.  It works! I was on hold for less than two minutes.  Hope this helps!

Yes! Thank goodness for that post and whoever took the time to make + share all those steps. I found it this morning too and completed my ID Verification. Now to wait 9 VERY long weeks. Although, my rep DID say that it WON'T take nearly that long.  Ugh! I was on hold over an hour before i got through to a live person. It WAS worth the hr hold to finally have peace of mind that my Federal return will EVENTUALLY come.
2gs1steph

@crystaleast1978 did you have to have your letter first?

I got the same letter, and was concerned. I was able to find the number referenced on this irs.gov page: https://www.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-025-006r

This is pretty unacceptable that the IRS expects potential victims of identity fraud to call a random number sent to them in the mail, and give their social security number, 1040 information, etc.

Verifying your identity also proves to the IRS that YOU are not committing identity theft, not just that you might be a victim.

I HAVE TO VERIFY MY IDENTITY

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DaveWho

It works as you indicated until the end, where it now asks an additional question.  No matter how the last question is answered it says we no longer .... and hangs up.  It may be due to high call volume.

Re: I got a letter from IRS with phone number to call to confirm my identity. But, the IRS is not answering the calls. My 30 day notice is about to expire. What do I do

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@4366wilmore You can verify your identity for the IRS online at the Identity Verification Service.

Click this link for more info on Tips for IRS Identity Verification

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
glavis

I received a letter form IRS for fraud and I need to submit a Taxpayer identification number.  I Have this number and need to apply it to my return.

glavis

I received a letter form IRS for fraud and I need to submit a Taxpayer identification number.  I Have this number and need to apply it to my return.

Valerysla

The site doesn't allow me to register. It says that something doesn't match. I tried a lot of times but it doesn't work. My husband is also not able to do it. I tried to call but they never answer. What should I do? Maybe I can come somewhere? 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

For including the IP PIN in your tax return, see: How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

@glavis

Please see the posts above for how to confirm your identity. If you did not receive a letter, it may not have been from the IRS. Only respond to the IRS. To verify your identity, go to: Identity Verification for IRS Letter Recipients | Internal Revenue Service.

Otherwise, see: What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft.

@Valerysla

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies