turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't receive my second stimulus check due to a closed account and according to the information posted on irs.gov site at that time, they were not going to reissue checks and that I would have to c

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I didn't receive my second stimulus check due to a closed account and according to the information posted on irs.gov site at that time, they were not going to reissue checks and that I would have to c

If the account is no longer available, the IRS would send a paper check to the address on record. 

Otherwise, filing your tax return will allow you to file for the Rebate Recovery Credit.

To check what payment amount you can expect from the IRS, go to: Get My Payment Link.

I know that already.  I've already received a paper check after e filing for the recovery rebate credit.  I want to know if I  can amend my 2020 taxes to no longer claim the credit? I only claimed the credit due to the fact that at that time the IRS had stated that they were not going to reissue checks that went to wrong or closed accounts and to claim the credit in order to receive the stimulus.  It was after I claimed the credit that the IRS backtracked and started reissuing checks.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who did this  and am hoping to get the correct answer to help others.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS began accepting returns today. We do not know if they are cross stimulus  checking before sending refunds. If they catch it, then all is well. If they don't, then you will need to amend.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies