Solved: Re: I did not receive a Massachusetts Form 1099-HC...

I did not receive a Massachusetts Form 1099-HC only a 1095-C. How do I fill out the Health Insurance Worksheet?

[Edited]
Form 1099 HC is needed to complete your Massachusetts state tax return. You can complete your Massachusetts tax return without one, but you will not be able to e-file that return. You should contact your insurance provider to get a copy of the 1099 HC form before you file your return.

Form 1095 C is an informational document for your federal tax return. There is no specific information from the 1095 C that must be entered into Turbo Tax. You should keep it with your tax papers as it is evidence that you had health insurance.

To complete your Massachusetts state tax return:

• Select the State taxes tab and go through the State interview process
• On the screen, Let's Go Over Your Health Insurance Information, select Continue
• When you come to the interview question When did you have minimum creditable coverage (MCC)? you will select the appropriate option which applies to your Health Insurance coverage
• When you come to the interview question What type of health insurance did you have in 2016? you will be prompted to select either option I had private insurance (including Connector Care) or I had something else
• In your Massachusetts return, enter the insurance company name and your subscriber number, but leave the FID blank. When asked if you received a 1099-HC, answer "No". You will see an error message during the state review. This error will not allow you to e-file, in which case you'll need to print and mail your MA tax return.

To complete the Federal Health Insurance questions:

• If you were covered all year, you will indicate that "I had health insurance coverage all year."
• Because you had insurance through your employer, you will indicate no to " Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?" You do not need to enter any additional information for the policies that you had through work.

how do i request MA Form 1099HC? is it available online?

I work in NY and have insurance through my employer although my legal residence is MA.  I have not received a 1099HC although I did get a 1095C.  Do all states require a 1099HC

[Edited]

The Federal form accepts the above answers but the MA State form does not.  The MA form ONLY accepts an 1099-HC.

I am also having an issue with the state of Massachusetts with regard to this problem and I mailed my state tax return. I am retired from the federal government. I contacted the Office of Personnel Management and was told that OPM (Federal Government) does not issue 1099-Cs and the states are supposed to recognize that fact. MA State DOR tells me they don't accept the Feds 1095-C. Oh the conundrum. I've now been charged the penalty for my wife and I so I'll have to deal with the state on that.

My recommendation to Turbo Tax is to pursue/ask/prompt/add the question when filing the MA state tax returns if the filer had health insurance through the Federal Government. If yes, then a comment about the filer having health care coverage thru the Federal Government should be stated.

I'd like to know if Turbo Tax will pursue this or some other solution for their customers. Having to mail a return because of this is not the right answer.

Respectfully,

Dave

I am   a recently retired postal worker who did not receive form 1099HC. Blue Cross Blue Shield only sends 1095B or you receive 1095B. You cannot get the 1099HC form.  Neither Turbo Tax, Blue Cross or the Mass. department of revenue can remedy this if you want to E file. So do not use Turbo Tax in Mass. if you want E-file. Mass. says they want  you to file electronicaly but the employees are stumped when you bring this to their attention. Retired postal workers are guaranteed health insurance so if the point of the form is prove you have year long insurance why demand a form that cannot be produced ? So again DO NOT use turbo tax for your mass state return if you want to E-file.

When  you call blue cross they tell you there is no federal I.D. number for the 1095 B.When you call mass dept of revenue they tell you there is , and  that they don’t know anything about turbotax filing.  Turbo tax and Mass. DOR have issues with OPM  as well. Nothing is   posted about this and Turbo tax customer service goes right to turbo tax live.

The 1095-B does not need to be entered on your return. Only Form 1095-A for insurance purchased through the marketplace needs to be entered. The Form 1095-B is for your records only.

I was finally able to file my Mass. state return electronically.  There was an issue with the 1099 HC

which federal workers do not get. Also there was an issue with OPM. It has not been accepted however and  I  am still waiting. Turbo tax should explain these exceptions before you try and file

in massachusetts.

The 1099-HC form is a Massachusetts tax document which provides proof of health insurance coverage for Massachusetts residents.  Every Commonwealth of Massachusetts resident who has health insurance will receive a 1099-HC form. This form is provided by your health insurance carrier.  To download an electronic copy of your Form 1099-HC, you may sign into your medical insurance carrier’s online account, or contact their member services at the number on your ID card for more information.

• When you come to the interview question What type of health insurance did you have in 2019? you will be prompted to select either option I had private insurance (including Connector Care) or I had something else
• In your Massachusetts return, enter the insurance company name and your subscriber number, but leave the FID blank. When asked if you received a 1099-HC, answer "No" if you do not have the form. You will see an error message during the state review. This error will not allow you to e-file, in which case you'll need to print and mail your MA tax return.