turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I did not receive a Massachusetts Form 1099-HC only a 1095-C. How do I fill out the Health Insurance Worksheet?

Here we are doing our 2021 taxes, and I made it work last year, but this year I cannot get to the point where I can e-file my Mass taxes, (but I did last year!) .  I will not be using Turbo Tax if this continues.  My Tufts Medicare Advantage has a message when you call that says they do not mail out HC-1099, and you should consult a Tax Professional for advice-you have to be kidding!

Shame on Turbo Tax for not fixing this!

I did not receive a Massachusetts Form 1099-HC only a 1095-C. How do I fill out the Health Insurance Worksheet?

I agree with Dave.  Turbotax has wasted a lot of my time not letting me override that data.  My state Provider does not issue 1099-HC or any form.  If you are retired, just click on the Medicare box and the problem goes away.  Turbo tax needs to refine the dialog  "If you are retired (hint: claiming SS income?)and not on an employee health plan  just click the medicare  box."   

BTW,  There are helpful people on the turbotax Facebook page who will answer questions. (That's how I got this answer).

I did what you said but could not get out of the loop.  The day I sent in my paper tax return, I received a pamphlet from Tufts Medicare Advantage, telling me what to do, but it was too late, and I don't think there was anything I didn't try anyway. 

I can't understand why all these suggestions are coming 2 weeks before the tax deadline.  I usually do my taxes in February, but I was late this year.

If you live in Massachusetts You don't get the 1099-HC if you are on a government subsidized health plan (eg Medicare) so you can get out of the loop by simply checking that box  and removing any other info (like  supplemental plans)  

This answer of not e-filing Massachusetts is UNSATISFACTORY. Turbo Tax MUST fix this problem. I have been using Turbo Tax since 1997 (MS-DOS) but this will be the final year. Another new bug this year is when importing financial data. I have two Fidelity accounts and the program didn't let me got to the second account to login. I had to re-boot the computer so that I could get to the login screen for the second account. This had never happened in the past.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You can still efile your tax return provided you have health coverage that meets the MCC guidelines.  As @LenaH says above you just need to make sure your plan meets the guidelines and then you can answer the questions as though you had received a 1099HC.

@rdufresne 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax Massachusetts will not complete without the Federal ID number of the Health Insurance company from Massachusetts Form 1099-HC, which I do not have. What number should be used here if I only have a 1095-B? See Turbo Tax Massachusetts Schedule HC lines 4.f and 4.g (for spouse).

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The EIN for most large insurance carriers is available by google search.  Just search '(insurance carrier name) ein'.

@rdufresne 

Very Helpful - thank you!

I stopped working for Boston University in 1966 or 1977, who issued the 1099-HC.

My wife and I had health insurance all year long via Medicare.

I did not have to fill out a 1099-HC because we have both received our medical coverage through medicare.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

There is a place to select that you were covered with Medicare.

1. In the Massachusetts return on, Let's Go Over Your Health Insurance Information, click Continue 
  2. When you come to the interview question When did you have minimum creditable coverage (MCC)? select  yes
  3. When you come to the interview question What type of health insurance did you have in 2022?    Select  I had something else.
    Check the Medicare box for What type of insurance was it? 

If you had Medicare all year, check all year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies