Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did a change of address, will my check be forwarded to my new address

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check. 

To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822.pdfChange of Address.

Please view the IRS link below for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

Please contact the state department of revenue for directions on changing your address. Click on your state hyperlink in the TurboTax FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

View solution in original post

16 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check. 

To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822.pdfChange of Address.

Please view the IRS link below for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

Please contact the state department of revenue for directions on changing your address. Click on your state hyperlink in the TurboTax FAQ below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

But the IRS is not accepting paper mail 

I did a change of address with the USPS! They informed me they do NOT forward government checks! (How they know what’s in the envelope without opening our mail worried me) however the IRS isn’t answering phone calls or accepting paper mail! I’m a single mother with 3 children about to lose our home because my work hours have been cut due to covid 19! How are we supposed to update our info with the irs? I filed taxes in January and purchase a home at the end of February. 

trinajay4

Keep checking everyday they finally updated my boyfriends to were he could enter routing and account # last night or also you could ask the post office to do a temporary hold on all your mail where you can pick it up directly from them every day instead of them delivering your mail just until you receive your check. I always have them hold my mail while I'm vacationing etc. Its free! Hope this helps!

Did they send it by mail and it got returned and then they allowed him to update his bank information or did they not have his bank information on file so they allowed him to update it, this is so confusing because their using my 2018 tax return and my bank and address has changed since then smh they are making this is so hard to receive. 

Jrey5682

I forwarded my address Sept. 2020 also changed bank accounts. I do receive all my mail and spoke with Post Office who told me forwarding is good for a year. I did fax over Change of Address to IRS as well. 2nd stimulus shows direct deposit into old acct on the 4th of Jan. Bank rejected it and I have not seen an update since. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

When a deposit is returned to the IRS, there will be a reconciliation on your 2020 tax return. For those who did not receive their second stimulus check there is a Recovery Rebate Credit that will part of your tax return which will include it with the rest of your refund.  Please use the links below for more information. 

1. When will I get my second stimulus check? (scroll to this question when you select the hyperlink)
  2. Why haven't I received my second stimulus check?
  3. IRS Recovery Rebate Credit
  4. How can I check on my second stimulus payment?

The Recovery Rebate Credit will cover both the first and second stimulus payments. This will determine the full amount of potential refund you are entitled to based on income and eligible dependents, and will be part of the final combined refund on your return, if applicable

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lacijoi84

If you claim it on your taxes it is holding them up for months. It could be 9 months before you get your tax return. I would file taxes and go after stimulus to track it down after. I'm in the same boat, went into a closed account the 4th of Jan but now mine shows on the irs website it is being mailed Feb 2nd, but I've moved. I put a change of address in with USPS so I guess we will see what happens.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

There is no evidence that the IRS will take "months" to process returns with the Recovery Rebate included.  The IRS won't even start processing returns until February 12!

@Lacijoi84

Do you mind if I ask what the date was that they said they mail it and what the date was that they allowed him to put in his direct deposit and then also how long after that till he got his direct deposit? Thank you 

sdc6767

If you put your mail on hold with the post office the hold ends when you pick up your mail. You cannot pick up your mail daily without paying a "caller fee".

I did a change of address will my check be forwarded to my new address in Mexico Missouri

@AmandaDeatherage We cannot answer you since we do not know the time frame involved.   We do not know when you filed your tax return, whether the IRS has sent your refund yet, or how long ago you changed your address with the IRS.   Watch your own mail and see if you receive a check.   And do make sure that the post office has a change of address on file for you.

And....did you change your address with the IRS---or only with the post office?

CHANGE OF ADDRESS 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Will my amended return check be forward to my new address

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies