Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I applied for PUA in 12/2020, after waiting 28 weeks to be denied regular unemployment benefits. I was approved in January and back paid. Do I claim 2020 or 2021?

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, back paid for the year 2020, but not officially paid until 2021. What year do I claim it for?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I applied for PUA in 12/2020, after waiting 28 weeks to be denied regular unemployment benefits. I was approved in January and back paid. Do I claim 2020 or 2021?

If you did not receive any unemployment in 2020, you have nothing to report on this tax return.   If you were paid this year in 2021, you will receive a 1099-G in January of next year and you will report it on your 2021 tax return.   It matters when you received the money, not when you applied for or waited for it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, I also have this issue.  I applied for pandemic unemployment in 2020, but errors on the part of Nevada State Unemployment resulted in my payment being delayed until 2021.  Now I owe more than $5,000 in taxes because I can't claim the $10,000 exclusion.  Don't  know what I'm going to do - I'm screwed.

We applied for unemployment in March 2020. Due to an error by Indiana, we did not receive any money until February 2021. After 100’s of hours on the phone and countless messages to our State Representative, we did receive it. But, we ended up paying taxes on all of it. It was ridiculous. They should have made some kind of provision to help those who waited forever to even get any money. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies