turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bayren97

I am trying to file my tax return for 2020 because I received a W-2 form. My tax refund for 2020 got rejected because my AGI for 2019 isn't correct.

Why is TurboTax saying that my AGI for 2019 is not correct even though it says what it is on my 1040 form? Is it because my AGI for 2019 isn't showing how many cents after the AGI figure? For example on my 1040 form for 2019, it shows that my AGI is exactly $7,345 (rounded to the nearest whole number). Is my AGI supposed to be for example like $7,345.07 (.07 is the cents amount), without rounding it to the nearest whole number? Is that why Turbotax is rejecting it?

The problem is, is that I am currently out of the US and I don't have a copy of my actual W-2 form for 2019, and I can't request it online from the IRS because I don't own a credit card anymore, nor do I have any student loans, auto loan fees, or mortgage loan fees.

Someone help me and answer my questions based on everything I gave, please.

Thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I am trying to file my tax return for 2020 because I received a W-2 form. My tax refund for 2020 got rejected because my AGI for 2019 isn't correct.

You would round your income up to arrive at the amount to report on your tax return, so the cents you reference should not be a factor.

Your adjusted gross income (AGI) isn't necessarily the amount listed on your W-2 form. You may have income from other sources or deductions from your income that would affect your AGI.

TurboTax is not rejecting your return because of your AGI, the IRS does that. I suggest you get a transcript of your 2019 tax return from the IRS so see what they show as your AGI by using this link:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Also, you can try entering $0 for your AGI if you determine that you are entering the correct amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bayren97

Thank you for your response.

But shouldn't I put $0 only if I filed a tax return for a stimulus in 2020 or if I filed late (I am not sure because it's either these two options in order to put $0)?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your AGI is always a solid dollar amount.  It can be found online 8b of your 2019 Form 1040.  If the number on that form is correct, there is a possibility that the IRS has a different AGI.  You can go to irs.gov/transcripts  and get a copy of your 2019 tax return.  If the AGI the IRS shows is the same that is on line 8b of Form 1040, then your taxes are being rejected for other reasons.  AGI is usually a default reason.

I strongly suggest you review the number on line 8b of Form 1040.

1.  If you filed after the tax extension deadline, it will be rejected for AGI.  You must select the option that says, "I didn't file last year."

2.  If a spouse is deceased on the return, you cannot e-File.  Your eFile will be rejected and it will say AGI.  The IRS wants all returns with a deceased tax filer on them to be mailed.

When you mail your return, do not send them regular mail.  Go to the post office and send it "Certified Mail" with "Request Return Receipt."  That way you can ensure someone at the IRS signed for your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies