turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rbaker

I am now classified as a "Securities Trader" job category for the IRS. What tax software works given there are different reporting requirements?

I understand I need to "Mark to Market" the trading accounts and that there is NOT capital gains.  I think all securities sales need to be recorded - I have over 1,000 transactions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am now classified as a "Securities Trader" job category for the IRS. What tax software works given there are different reporting requirements?

turbo tax deluxe CD/Download is sufficient if you are filing as sole proprietor.

TurboTax doesn't have the notion of Professional Trader.

You have to do the reporting in Forms Mode and that's why you need cd/download.

rbaker

Yes, when I explored this last year before I officially claimed the designation with the IRS, TurboTax did not treat Security and Option buy/sells as an item that one "inventories of merchandise" that one buys and sells, but rather treated securities in the classical sense.  Trading is buying securities at one price and hoping to sell them at a higher price (buy side simplification) much like of the mythical "widget."

I did not see that Turbo Tax could do that.  It automatically stuck them in the wrong place.  I forgot which schedule form that is.

I get the download of transactions - and there will be over 1,000 over the course of 1 year.  Where would all this things go?  WHat form?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies