Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swfutur

I am a victim of possible fraud and ive beeen directed here by reps, ai, idk? this is not a safe space to talk sensative info. who and or whom should i reach out to

THIS IS A SENSATIVE ISSUE AND I HOPE THE HIGHEST CONCERN WILL BE TAKEN UPON ITS READING! PLEASE DO RESPOND AS A REPRESENTATIVE.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I am a victim of possible fraud and ive beeen directed here by reps, ai, idk? this is not a safe space to talk sensative info. who and or whom should i reach out to

What are you talking about ?    This is a public internet forum so if you don't like the venue please seek another source to get your questions answered.  

If you can enter a general tax question we here will try to give you some direction. 

What to do if you are a victum of ID theft ...

Credit Agencies
1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.
• Equifax: equifax.com
• Experian: experian.com
• TransUnion: transunion.com
2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last
four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.
3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened
fraudulently.
4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any
fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.
5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers
and destroy any old cards.
6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six
months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.
7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your
credit report.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.
Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.

Local Police
1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make
sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.
2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy
of the report.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim
for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,
Identify Theft Affidavit.

State Tax Agency
1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies
may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.

Other Agencies and Organizations
1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.
• Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
• Phone: 800.275.8777
2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:
-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN
to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)
office if something looks inaccurate.
-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit
fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.
• Online reporting resources:
- socialsecurity.gov/oig
- Fraud Reporting Form
• SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271

fraud even identity theft should also be reported to your local police department and perhaps consult a lawyer.

you'll likely have to mail in your tax returns until you get an identity protection pin. 

bigbear

I'm trying to report debt card fraud and possible id theft and get more run around at every turn

bigbear

These agencies all insist I provide the card # and the bank has canceled the account. I need to proceed without a card #

@bigbear This is the user forum where we answer questions about income tax return and the tax software.  We have nothing to do with credit or debit cards.   If you have a problem regarding a credit or debit card, you need to contact the financial institution that issued the card to you.  There should be a an 800 number on the back of the card.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No one in this user forum has a way to help with your credit card.  We can help with suggestions if you suspect tax-related fraud or identity theft.

Most important) Follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return, documented here: www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Guide-to-Identity-Theft

IRS INFORMATION REFERRAL TO REPORT VIOLATION OF TAX LAW

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

6-digit IP NUMBER FROM IRS

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/bulletins/2af48f0?reqfrom=share

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@bigbear contact the debit card company to report the fraud. maybe they'll reimburse you.

do this promptly because many have a time limit for reporting. wait too long and you're out of luck.

most likely as a minimum they'll require you to file a police report.  

if not and this is personal and you don't get reimbursed, sorry but you are not entitled to any federal tax deduction.

id theft get an ID pin from the IRS but this is only for income tax purposes.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin 

if you have other financial accounts, contact the institution because they may want to issue new cards, or account numbers. at the very least, change your user ID and password on their websites.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies