Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TC88
Returning Member

I accidentally put my dad's SSN into my tax return

I used a financial insituition for my 2020 tax return. I filed in Feb of 2021 and recently I found out that the place accidentally put my dad's SSN down instead of mine on my file. (We both use that place for tax and insurance so I believed he got the number messed up and it was part of my fault not checking before submiting). Now my dad cannot file his tax; I had already received a part of my tax return (tax return, stimulus checks). How can I fix this? Can turbotax help with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No TurboTax cannot fix things for your father.   If your father's e-file is being rejected because you put his SSN into the system then the only way your dad can file his own tax return is to print it, sign it and mail it.   

It is not clear from your post just how you used your father's SSN.    But when there is a mixup with SSN's in the system, it cannot be fixed for that tax year to allow the other person to e-file.

You will have to amend your own tax return to correct whatever mistake was made, but it takes at least six months for the IRS to process an amended return, so amending your return will not help your father to e-file this year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ok ... what a mess !!!   

Dad :  the IRS already has a return with his SS# on it  so he needs to mail in a return with the word  "SUPERCEDE"  on the top of the form 1040 and I suggest it be in BIG RED LETTERS ... use a sharpie if you have one.   An amended return is not really the way to go since the entire return needs to be corrected and not just one item.  Any refunds already received should be  listed on Sch 3 line 12D.

Son :  since no return was filed under his SS# then he can still  efile an original return. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@TC88  It's not clear exactly how much the financial institution did for you and your father, and how much you did yourselves. You said "We both use that place for tax. . . ." It sounds like they prepared your tax return. Did they also prepare your father's tax return? Why are you looking at TurboTax at all if the financial institution prepares your tax returns? If the financial institution made the mistake, they should straighten out the mess for you - at no charge (even though you overlooked the error).

@Critter-3  You can't file a superceding return after the due date. The only way dad could supercede now is if he filed an extension before May 17. Otherwise I think he's stuck with amending.

Point taken ... supercede only  allowed if he is on extension otherwise this will be a messy amendment. 

TC88
Returning Member

Thank you all for the answers.

It is a complicated situation about that tax business but they only prepared my tax but they mixed up my SSN with my dad's SSN. 

In short, the way to fix this up is to amend the refund based on my dad's SSN (any received refund amount needed to be listed). And I can file tax using my SSN. Will there any penalties since it is past the deadline?

If your tax preparer made the mistake then the tax preparer is the one who needs to fix the mess.   Have you had a discussion with the tax preparer who caused the mix up?   We cannot understand how you think TurboTax can get involved.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@TC88 wrote:

In short, the way to fix this up is to amend the refund based on my dad's SSN (any received refund amount needed to be listed). And I can file tax using my SSN. Will there any penalties since it is past the deadline?

@TC88  For your own tax return, if you are getting a refund there will be no penalties. If you have a payment due on your return, the IRS may bill you for penalties and interest for late filing and late payment.

If your father has a payment due on the amended return, he might have to pay a penalty and interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies