turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA limits

The software has the wrong HSA contribution limit for 2018. It should be $7,900 for a family if I am over 55, but the software says I am over-contributed by $150.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

HSA limits

Yes, your note is correct, and I'm wondering when the software will be corrected, or if Intuit is available of this error. They are a year behind!!

GabiU
Level 15

HSA limits

Thank you for the heads up! 
We've submitted this to the product department to review. 

The product will be going through many changes as the IRS continues to release forms. Stay updated with this FAQ here: IRS Forms Availability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSA limits

I posted the original question concerning the correct amounts for the HSA contribution for 55+. Today is 12/17/2018 and the software has not yet been corrected, FYI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HSA limits

I posted the original question concerning the correct amounts for the HSA contribution for 55+. Today is 12/17/2018 and the software has not yet been corrected, FYI. There is an additional problem with the HSA section, in that it asks "Did L inherit this HSA from your spouse?"...which I didn't. The instructions to the question state that "If you inherited this from your spouse, answer no." The following questions, however, then ask me about the contributions to my HSA, and somehow come to the conclusion that the distributions from my HSA for qualified medical expenses are taxable. This is clearly wrong! Please address this issue with your "product" department as well.

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

HSA limits

Hi there!

It is difficult to test this fully without a bit more information.  Keep an eye on your email for a message from Social We Care so we can further assist you in resolving this issue.  

Thank you.

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

HSA limits

The issue you described regarding HSA distributions for qualified medical expenses showing as taxable has been corrected with a recent update on 12/20/2018.  The update was posted here.  Please contact us if you have any further difficulties.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

HSA limits

It is now 12/31/2018 and the issue with the HSA has not yet been corrected. 

jhnydgrsly
Returning Member

HSA limits

OMG this appears to STILL not be corrected?????? Just happened. what in the world is TT thinking some people have probably filed incorrectly if they are filing on paper ,etc. 

????

jhnydgrsly
Returning Member

HSA limits

hi please indicate if users should be sending the following type of issue to an email address or this forum is most appropriate. 

For the question TT asks under HSA 'tour': Did {user name} inherit this HSA?  

it then says: It's not common, but we have to check. If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer No.

This is worded in such a way as to be confusing and misleading in multiple ways.

Consequently this begs for a multiple choice answer first of which could be: you inherited your IRA, but it was from your spouse.

next option choice : you inherited your IRA but not from your spouse and then option 3 you did NOT inherit your HSA.  

Literally the Q and one possible A is self-contradictory.

I understand under the rules TT is coming to conclusion that if from spouse it is AS IF the answer is NO but that is so confusing because you are answering no to the initial question even though the literal answer is \yes to the English question asked. imo.

disclaimer: none of this is tax advice nor can be used as tax advice I don't hold myself out to be an expert all users should see their own tax consultant to determine their individual tax situation.

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

HSA limits

Hi @Anonymous ,

I would like to assist you in resolving this.  Watch for an email from us with further instructions.

jhnydgrsly
Returning Member

HSA limits

I see this is still not fixed and other issues I have brought up have not been responded to or addressed. If TT is simply going to ignore totally legitimate serious issues then I wont bother posting here and doubt I want to continue with a product for which we are asked to provide input are then ignored! 

joke.

HSA limits

Please let us know if this issue has been resolved.

In making a purchase/use decision for the 2018 TT product, I'm wondering if I'd be better off cutting ties with TT and pursuing less preferred alternatives.

Thanks.

HSA limits

per the moderator posting, it was resolved in December 

HSA limits

I filed the original question.  With the updates, TurboTax is now accepting $7,900 as a valid HSA contribution amount.  I do not understand the posts that say it is not working now.  For me it is.

@NCperson wrote:

per the moderator posting, it was resolved in December 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies