Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

afaczan

How/where do we add a supplemental pay stub for a commission check that was not included in W2?

Is this "other reportable income"?  We have no 1099  for this and state, SS and medicare taxes were paid, but no fed. taxes were taken out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

How/where do we add a supplemental pay stub for a commission check that was not included in W2?

Yes, you may enter other income not reported on tax form W2 or 1099 on line 8, Part 3, of  Schedule 1. The employers are required to mail a copy of tax forms on or before January 15.   You may contact your empoyer for a copy of 1099 or calll the IRS after February 15 for a substiture form. Here are the steps to enter other income on Schedule 1.

1. Login to Turbo Tax.
  2. Jump to Personal Income under Income and Expenses
  3. Scroll all the way down until you get to Less common income, then click start next to Miscellaneous income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  4. Scroll all the way down, and click start on Other reportable income.
  5. Next screen is Other Taxable Income
afaczan

Yes I did that.  The problem is that on Turbo tax there is no way to enter the REASON code.  He has a paystub with SS, medicare, and state taxes already taken out.  He will NOT be receiving a new W2 or a 1099 since taxes were paid.  

None of the reasons apply:

A-I filled Form SS-8, and IRS determined that I am an employee

C I received other IRS correspondence stating I am an employee

G-I filed Form SS-I with the IRS...

H-I received a Form W-2 and a separate Form 1099-Misc. and all the income should have been reported on Form W2.

Help-we don't know what to do at this point!   He only owes Fed. as all other taxes were paid.  He is also no longer an employee for the company and this was the last check he received after he was terminated.  

I am not sure why this is so difficult...

Thanks for any help with this.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You will have to submit a Substitute Form (Form 4852). If your employer withheld SS, Medicare and State Taxes from his commission, they were required to issue a Form W-2.

Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed per IRS regulations.

You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if all efforts to obtain a W-2 from your employer have failed. Here's how to fill one out:

1. In your TurboTax program, search for W-2 and then select the Jump to link in the search results to get to the W-2 entry screen.
  2. Fill out your W-2 as best you can using the information from your last pay stub.
  3. When finished, proceed through the interview. Eventually you'll get to the Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2? screen.
    • Check the Substitute form box near the bottom.
    • Check any other box(es) that apply to your W-2 before selecting Continue.
  4. Eventually you'll come to a screen which will ask if you want to complete Form 4852 for wages paid. Answer Yes and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

How do I file a substitute W-2 using Form 4852?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies