turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

No despite multiple calls I never received any confirmation that my letter actually did anything. I am starting to think my letter was a 2020 casualty. 

CJR12

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

Hi, I just did the ITIN to SSN update. I called the IRS office and ask for their help. They do write up for me to merge my SSN to the ITIN. Then they said I will receive a letter confirming it has been merged. After 2~3 months I received that letter saying it has been merged. But if I go on line to check my 2019 tax return status, I cannot use SSN to find that, it still shows ITIN.

@Jasontr90  

I FINALLY have an update! I called the IRS again today and although they never sent the confirmation letter they said the ITIN + SSN merge did happen the week of August 10.

My joint return will still show the original ITIN on the tax transcripts BUT downloading the wages earned transcript will show the recognized earnings on the new-to-2019 SSN.

KS261187
Returning Member

Hi, when I download the wages earned transcript. What column should I look at?. I am sailing in the same boat like you guys. Appreciate if you can throw some light on this. Also please let me know the address where you have mailed your documents to?

You'll have to log into the IRS account with the new SSN and then go look at your wages report. Here's the address in the section "What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?" inside https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information.

Internal Revenue Service 
Austin, TX 73301-0057 

KS261187
Returning Member

So i have to use the new SSN or my SSN which i generally use to login?. I tried with the new SSN which is my wifes SSN and it was not able to recognize. Also can you please let me know the telephone number that you use to call the IRS?. Is this a generic one or a special line to connect to the concern department.

I called the "Individuals" number at the bottom of the link below but you could give them the new SSN and confirm the earnings.

https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

KS261187
Returning Member

My wife got her ssn this may and she is a home maker and has no earnings. Is there a way we can look it up online?

I just got the letter from IRS today and they INFORMED they merged my ITIN to SSN. Haven’t checked on Irs website yet because the system was maintained 

No, you'd have to call them and see. You may get a confirmation in the mail but I never did.

They said all my tax returns will be assigned to ssn and they revoked my itin

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies