turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfmash1
Returning Member

How to solve this?

Hello,

I was an international student from (late 2016 till late 2020). I also had a job on campus and SSN. I didn't know anything about filing tax, and i didn't even know i can do. Anyways, some international friends of mine told me to file it using Turbotax as they always do. So, I filed my tax return for 2019 after getting my W-2 form and last week I filed the 2020 one. I was reading about that international students shouldn't use Turbotax. Unfortunately, I didn't know about that and I feel bad about it, and I wished that Turbotax or the IRS rejected my request. As of now, I wanted to cancel my request, but it seems like i can't do it. What can i do if I am not in the US anymore? and will be there any penalties or something? I am just afraid that IRS will consider it as a tax fraud. Kindly advice. 

Thank you, 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

How to solve this?

You can file an amended tax return through Sprintax to fix your 2019 and 2020 tax returns. For 2020, wait until the IRS accepts your return before preparing an amended return.

The IRS will not consider an honest mistake to be tax fraud. There are no criminal penalties for making an unintentional mistake on your tax return. However, you may have to pay penalty and interest if you owe more tax.

If you were a student, I assume you were on an F-1 visa, making you exempt for five calendar years (2016-2020). During those years, you should have filed a non-resident income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ).

Learn more at Which tax form should I use: Form 1040, 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ?

Your amended return (Form 1040X) will include a Form 1040NR/1040NR-EZ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mfmash1
Returning Member

How to solve this?

Thank you for your reply. one last question, will i have to return all of my tax return including the stimulus checks?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

How to solve this?

Yes. You will have to return your stimulus checks. You aren’t eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You were claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2019 tax return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s tax return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s tax return).
  • You don’t have an SSN that is valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2019 tax return (including any extensions).
  • You’re a nonresident alien.
  • Someone was deceased before 2020.
  • Are an estate or trust.

You may or may not receive a regular tax refund. Form 1040 has a standard deduction against income of $12,400 for single filers. There is no standard deduction on Form 1040NR (unless you are from India). As a result you will only be able to deduct items you actually paid, including state and local income taxes, charitable contributions and casualty and theft losses. So your tax liability will probably be higher.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mfmash1
Returning Member

How to solve this?

I really appreciate your help. From what i have read is that doing a amended, it will take long time up to a year. Will that affect me if i want to apply for a VISA to visit the US or will it affect me in anyway?

mfmash1
Returning Member

How to solve this?

Also, i just remembered that i received a phone call last year from someone claiming that he is from ICE, and told me something about my ITIN and said anything i say will be used against me in the court, and if I don’t corporate, they will send the police and i will be arrested. I don’t really know if that’s something serious or scam. I copied their number and i found it on the ICE official website. So I immediately called the international office at school and they told me my status is fine, and if there’s anything with the government, they should contact the school first then the school will contact the student. So, is it possible that IRS or the government call people instead of sending official letters or contact the school?? I just remembered that and thought that it has something to do with filing through Turbotax. I don’t really want to have bad or criminal record.

Manage cookies