turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle part year residency of 2 states, and a confusing W2, both for 2021

I lived in AZ in 2021 and moved to MO in July 2021 for a full-time on-site job.  I had no job or income in AZ. The MO employer's W2 for 2021 showed income and tax withholding in both AZ and MO. When I filed my 2021 returns in 2022, I was careless not to claim full refund of the AZ taxes (I owed nothing as I did not have a job there).  I am trying to file an amended return for AZ now to get all of my AZ withholding back, which was $300 more than the refund I got.

Using fictitious figures, let's say that per that W2, my fed income = 60000, MO income = 61000, AZ income = 20000 (yes, they were all different amounts). When I edit my AZ input today, TurboTax asks me to enter income amounts taxed by both AZ and MO. Would the following entries be correct? 

Income Description: Wages

Amount reported to AZ and MO: 60000

Portion taxed by AZ: 20000

Portion taxed by MO: 61000

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How to handle part year residency of 2 states, and a confusing W2, both for 2021

From what you reported, that seems correct.  Since you filed Part Year Resident Returns for both Missouri and Arizona in 2021, did you prepare AZ first?  

Since your employer wrongfully withheld AZ tax on your income (since you didn't earn it while living in AZ), your W-2 makes it seems as though you earned 20K there. 

Here's more info on How to File a Part Year Resident Return.

@JR108 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks! TurboTax asks me to indicate the date of Federal amended return, if filed. Do I need to amend the Federal return too? I don't need to make any changes to it. 

Yes, I did prepare AZ first. 

Also, my current address is different from the time I filed my 2021 address. I can go back and change my personal information on the Federal worksheet. Is that the correct way to deal with the address change? 

The amended return shows 0 Federal refund (vs $2900 when I filed originally), 0 MO refund (vs. $500 due originally) and $300 AZ refund (vs $500 refund originally). These all seem correct because the only amendment is on the AZ return, and $300 is the excess tax I paid to AZ originally.

It seems I must print and file. it cannot be done electronically. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Try to e-file the federal and the AZ amendments - - after you change your address on the federal worksheet.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, DawnC! I clicked on edit for all three returns in TurboTax. The only changes were -

1. Federal: Only my mailing address

2. Arizona: Credit for state taxes paid to Missouri. This changed my AZ taxes to 0, as it should. 

3. Missouri: It asked for the date on which my amended Fed return was filed. I entered 04/20/2023 as I intend to file tomorrow. 

While TurboTax may allow me to e-file the amended Federal return, the rest must be printed. Should I file only my amended AZ return or all three? The amended AZ return printout does include a copy of my MO return, presumably because I am asking for credit for taxes already paid to MO. 

If I file only the amended AZ return, should I also include a copy of the Federal return in addition to the MO return it already printed? 

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies