turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get out of Free File program

I was filing my taxes and I clicked on the free file program to learn more about it and i accidentally accepted to start using it. I don't qualify but now it wont let me go back to the regular filing and wont let me submit at the end. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

54 Replies

If you mean the IRS FREE FILE program then you are in luck this year ... they made it easier to switch ...

Log out and then click the FREE online version here :  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/   and log in using the same userID to continue the return. You may be required to upgrade if the free version will not support your return. 

That didn't work. It still had me using the free file program and even if I clear and submit it has me start over using it 

Well then your only other option is to start a new return with a new userID  ... choose the version you want and then start a new account ... if you are automatically logged in then log out and start a new account.

1....jpg

That is insane.  What a terrible design.  

im having the same issue.  turbotax sucks

Is there really no other way?  

@ stephaniesohn  wrote:

Is there really no other way?  

We don't know what all you have done.  But here are some detailed steps that will hopefully let you stay in the same account and keep your current data.  If you've been using TurboTax IRS Free File Program at its special website to prepare your 2019 return and don't qualify, and want to go back to a paid edition of TurboTax at the Online TurboTax website to finish and file your return, here's how:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies.
  • Close your browser and reopen it.
  • Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.

@ stephaniesohn   What are you doing????    Why are you now asking about the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

You have a thread from several weeks ago I just found that says you have already filed your return back in April using Online Premier.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/i-already-filed-my-2019-tax-return-but-i...

That's confusing.    Why are you now several weeks later asking about the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?   Are you preparing a return in a different account for someone else, such as a family member?

This worked, thank you.

I went to the Free File out of curiosity and I couldn't get out of it while trying to amend, but the above post helped, so thank you.

@yeowang wrote:

This worked, thank you.  I went to the Free File out of curiosity and I couldn't get out of it while trying to amend, but the above post helped, so thank you.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.  Good luck.

This did not work for me: ".. and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product". It just brings me back to the IRS Free File Program without asking me any questions. 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

The ability to switch between the two products is currently unavailble.  You will need to start a new return at the TurboTax commercial website at this time. 

Be sure to log out of your tax return, then clear your browser's cache and cookies. 

Then you must start your return from the commercial TurboTax site here: TurboTax.com.

@taxmo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mesquitebean This did not work for me: ".. and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product". It just brings me back to the IRS Free File Program without asking me any questions. I followed every single step (and also rebooted my laptop because why not?)

@SusanY1 What do you mean with "start a new return"? Create a new account with a new username? I honestly do not want to do that after all the time that I spent filling in my info. 

"clear your browser's cache and cookies" has no effect for me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies