How to get out of Free File program

I was filing my taxes and I clicked on the free file program to learn more about it and i accidentally accepted to start using it. I don't qualify but now it wont let me go back to the regular filing and wont let me submit at the end. How do I fix this?

How to get out of Free File program

If you mean the IRS FREE FILE program then you are in luck this year ... they made it easier to switch ...

Log out and then click the FREE online version here :  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/   and log in using the same userID to continue the return. You may be required to upgrade if the free version will not support your return. 

How to get out of Free File program

That didn't work. It still had me using the free file program and even if I clear and submit it has me start over using it 

How to get out of Free File program

Well then your only other option is to start a new return with a new userID  ... choose the version you want and then start a new account ... if you are automatically logged in then log out and start a new account.

1....jpg

How to get out of Free File program

That is insane.  What a terrible design.  

How to get out of Free File program

im having the same issue.  turbotax sucks

How to get out of Free File program

Is there really no other way?  

How to get out of Free File program

@ stephaniesohn  wrote:

Is there really no other way?  

We don't know what all you have done.  But here are some detailed steps that will hopefully let you stay in the same account and keep your current data.  If you've been using TurboTax IRS Free File Program at its special website to prepare your 2019 return and don't qualify, and want to go back to a paid edition of TurboTax at the Online TurboTax website to finish and file your return, here's how:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies.
  • Close your browser and reopen it.
  • Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.

How to get out of Free File program

@ stephaniesohn   What are you doing????    Why are you now asking about the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

You have a thread from several weeks ago I just found that says you have already filed your return back in April using Online Premier.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/i-already-filed-my-2019-tax-return-but-i...

That's confusing.    Why are you now several weeks later asking about the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?   Are you preparing a return in a different account for someone else, such as a family member?

How to get out of Free File program

This worked, thank you.

I went to the Free File out of curiosity and I couldn't get out of it while trying to amend, but the above post helped, so thank you.

How to get out of Free File program

@yeowang wrote:

This worked, thank you.  I went to the Free File out of curiosity and I couldn't get out of it while trying to amend, but the above post helped, so thank you.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.  Good luck.