turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my 2019 tax return, but I would like to contribute more money to my HSA for tax year 2019. Am I able to contribute even though I already filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

I already filed my 2019 tax return, but I would like to contribute more money to my HSA for tax year 2019. Am I able to contribute even though I already filed?

Yes, you're still able to make contributions.  HSA owners can make 2019 contributions through the extended tax filing date of July 15th, 2020.

Please see the IRS’s Coronavirus Tax Relief page for more information.

Make sure that you identify to the HSA custodian that the contribution is for 2019.  By default, they will assume that the contribution is for 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mscurtiss

John, if I have already filed my 2019 taxes and make an after tax contribution to my HSA for 2019 do I have to go in and amend my 2019 taxes in order to receive the tax benefit?  Or when I file my 2020 taxes will it ask me if I made contribution in 2020 meant for 2019 and some how provide the benefit then?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you make a  contribution to your HSA before 07/15/20 - you can take the tax benefit on your 2019 tax return.  However, if you want the benefit on the 2019 tax return, you would need to amend your 2019 tax return since you already filed.  

You can choose to take the benefit on your 2020 tax return instead.  To do that, all you need to do is enter the contribution when you file your 2020 tax return.  It doesn't matter what year you opt to take the tax benefit, you just can't take it twice.    If you indicate that the 2020 contribution was for 2019 tax return when you file next year, you would still need to amend your 2019 tax return to claim that tax break.   You can't take a 2019 deduction on your 2020 tax return.  

\

@mscurtiss  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies