turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter cryptocurrency on the downloaded version???

I'm using the downloadable version of TT for 2019.  Where do I enter cryptocurrency sales?  It asked me at one point if I had sold and I said yes, but it never asked anything else.  I've gone through all of the income topics and none of them cover crypto.  I've seen reference online to the online version and you go under Federal and the Wages and Income, but those menu items are not within the downloaded version, which looks totally different.  HELP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Alright.  I was able to trick Turbotax Desktop (download) version into importing lots of crypto Capital gains/loses transactions without using the Online version.

I did this for Crypto.com transactions, but it works for any institution.   Excel or any spreadsheet software will be needed to prepare the data.  This is how I did it:

1) Created a .csv file with all  transactions using the format shown at http://www.easytxf.com/upload#create

2) Once the .csv file is ready (in my case with dozens of buy/sell transactions for 2021), used http://www.easytxf.com/upload#create to convert the .csv file into .txf file

3) Imported .txf file into Turbotax Desktop:  File --> Import --> From Accounting Software --> Select Other Financial Software (TXF) file --> Browse .txf file and Import now

4) Done.  A 1099-B with all Crypto transactions is now created.   This entry can now be edited to include the account details (In my case I named it Crypto.com) .  Each transaction can be edited as well.

Although this is not a one click method, It saved me from having to enter 80 or so transactions one at the time.  Also I did not need to create a parallel filing into the online version, which kind of defeats the purpose of using the desktop version if one does not want personal tax information flying through the internet.

To report crypto Income (rewards, interest, etc) I just used the total amount for the year and entered into Miscellaneous Income as "Other Reportable Income" as recommended in this forum in a previous post.  This was quick as it is just one entry.

View solution in original post

196 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Your should have received form 1099-B if you sold cryptocurrencies.

You can enter your form 1099-B by following these steps:

1. In TurboTax, open your tax return
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Investment Income and click on Show more
  4. Click Start next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no left hand column on the downloaded version.  It looks completely different than the online version... VERY ANNOYING! 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop, to enter cryptocurrency that must be reported as an investment:

Option 1: Step By Step

• From the Personal Tab>Personal Income
  • Select I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll to Investment income and click Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other click Start
  • Click Add an account
  • Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement from these sales? Click No
  • Choose the type of investment you sold Select Everything Else and click Continue
  • Enter the details of your transactions

Option 2: From Forms Mode

• Click on the Forms toggle in the upper corner>
  • Click Open Forms>in the search box, type cryptocurrency>
  • Click on Cryptocurrency Worksheet> click Open Form
  • Enter the details of your transactions

For a large number of transactions, enter it in summary form on Form 8949, one total for short-term and one total for long-term. Mail in the pages along with Form 8453 with the Form 8949 box checked.

For short-term transactions, Box C checked on Form 8949 for not being reported to you on Form 1099-B

For long-term transactions, Box F will be checked on Form 8949 for not being reported to you on Form 1099-B

Form 8453 can be found in Open Forms and printed to include with the hard copy details of your transactions.

[Edited 2/14/2020 | 5:46 PM PST]

For some reason, TurboTax Online offers this feature, but CD/Download does not.

@KathrynG3 Thank you for this information. This is the ONLY place that I've been able to find how to do this for 2019. 

It's much, much worse process than 2018 but at least it works. No idea why TT would make this functionality hidden in TT Deluxe.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

You're welcome~we are happy to help. 

SK71
Level 1

This is terrible - can TurboTax please make it EXTREMELY clear that this feature is not available on Premier Desktop but Online? Why is this available for Online and not Premier Desktop?

First option is better

ssmas

Why is the desktop version complete garbage compared to the online version?

It’s time to stop using the desktop version 

C-Meinert
Returning Member

Decided to give TurboTax one last chance for 2020 taxes and I already regret it. How hard is it to make a page available to enter this information. Next year its time to move to another solution.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It is still possible to enter cryptocurrency in the CD/Download version. Unless you are mining cryptocurrency and should report it as self-employed income & expenses, you  have two options. 

• Enter cryptocurrency transactions under Investment Income as Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Enter cryptocurrency directly on the designated worksheet, toggle to Forms mode and follow these steps:
    • Click Open Forms and enter Cryptocurrency and Open Form.
    • On the Crypto Wks, enter your details.

In TurboTax Online:

For up to 50 transactions, they can be manually entered.

If you have a large volume of transactions, TurboTax Online allows for importing up to 2,000 transactions automatically for cryptocurrency. For more transactions, use a transaction aggregator. TurboTax will walk you through that process.

For more information, see: How do I report Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency as a capital gain?

So, if I sold cryptos and purchased the download version of TT, I must mail in my return/forms and I can't file electronically?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@JN_123 You should be able to e-file your return even if you are including crypto. Why do you think that you cannot e-file?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies