turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmd1984
Returning Member

How to document "Food" category to establish "Head of Household" filing status

Hi everyone,

I need to document food, gas, and other expenses in my household; and, I was told that bank statements were acceptable. Could someone confirm that this is true? 

Second, and more importantly, am I allowed to redact other information on the bank statements? Essentially, I only want to send the IRS what they need (note: they have not requested bank statements as part of this audit process, just receipts and proof for Head of Household). 

Will redacting my bank statements raise a red flag? I'm not concerned about them looking at balances since I do not have any undisclosed income. It's more of a privacy thing.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

there should be a phone number on the notice, call.     bank statements may or may not be adequate - ask.  what the IRS really prefers are the actually receipts.     

say you buy food at XYZ and pay by check.  you get a receipt but toss it.  how is the IRS supposed to know that the payment  didn't include non-food items (like animal food).      

jmd1984
Returning Member

I had a similar concern. Fortunately, food expense is such a small % of the overall total expense I think I should be OK. I just wanted to be thorough -- the threshold to be Head of Household is 50% of total expenses and everything aside from food I have documented w/ billing statements, receipts, etc. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies