Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How To Add Comments To Fields in My Return

How do I add explanatory comments to my return.  For example, these comments are to help me remember how I derived a field.  These comments would not be printed with a return to be submitted to the IRS.  I've been using TT for many years and, I think, there was a way to annotate the return with comments in the past.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

start a new Notepad file titled "Tax Notes for 2022"

View solution in original post

You can use the "Description" field in the supporting details to record your comments.  Just use the "Amount" field on the first line of the supporting details for the number you want for the line in question, and then use multiple lines in the "Description" field for your notes to yourself.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

start a new Notepad file titled "Tax Notes for 2022"

Thanks for your help.  I was looking for something built into the product.  I talked to a technical support person and they said there is no capability like that except in an amended return you can add some comments.

Alex Phillips

dmertz
Level 15

There appears to be no way to do this in the online version of TurboTax, but in the Windows CD/download version you can right-click on a dollar-entry field and click Add Supporting Details...

You can also select the field and click Edit -> Add Supporting Details... which probably also works on a Mac.

Thanks, but the supporting details, which I have used, is intended for numeric values that when added will become the total shown in the field.  I was looking for a pure text comment capability.

You can use the "Description" field in the supporting details to record your comments.  Just use the "Amount" field on the first line of the supporting details for the number you want for the line in question, and then use multiple lines in the "Description" field for your notes to yourself.

I went back to my return and tried your idea out.  It worked well.  Thanks for the help.

Alex Phillips

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies