Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tifflee07
Returning Member

How do you enter your dependents AGI on form 8962? I am claiming my son as a dependent. It has always asked me for it and this year it isn't and I know I need to input it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

How do you enter your dependents AGI on form 8962? I am claiming my son as a dependent. It has always asked me for it and this year it isn't and I know I need to input it

TurboTax asks you in the interview questions for the modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for your dependents (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b).

TurboTax already "knows" from the other information in your tax return your modified AGI (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2a) and the number of people in your "tax family" (Part I, Line 1).

To edit your interview questions type 'Form 8962' In the search box.

Then select 'Jump to Form 8962' to go back through the questions.

Make sure you go through all screens.  Keep selecting 'continue' until TurboTax takes you all the way back to 'Other Tax Situations'.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@RobertG,
I have the same issue, using Home & Business. I have a dependent son (a student) who was required to file his own return (he has some self-employment income) and he's listed on our family's Marketplace plan on the 1095-A .

I'm sorry to post the same issue again, but the TT interview did NOT ask for dependent's MAGI.

So, as a solution I opened Form 8962 directly and entered his MAGI on line 2B and made a note in the supporting details.

Can you confirm that this is an acceptable solution? (And any idea why no interview prompt for it?)

Thank you!

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Your solution should work fine.  

Without see what was input, step-by-step, there's really no way of telling why the question didn't trigger.

I had exactly the same problem.  There was no place in the interview in the desktop version to enter dependents' income for form 8962 line 2b.  I got through the entire health insurance section and it never asked about household income.  I had to enter my kids' income manually on form 8962 line 2b.  That solved the problem.  But this is a major flaw in the program!  I wasted a lot of time on this.  My dependent kids had a lot of income that made a big difference in my premium credit.  Tubotax should fix this ASAP!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The issue has now been resolved. Please revisit the section so you can complete your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies