Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report poll worker income?

I have only $241 from my work as an election judge. I didn't receive a W2. I know from research that they consider that an employer. How do I report that income? Do I really need to do a form S-8 to have them make a determination?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@auntiebelle1969 - No.  You are not required to file form SS-8, but you are required to report the income.  Any compensation you receive as a poll worker is to be reported as taxable on your IRS Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, even if you do not receive an IRS Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, for this work.  It is considered other Miscellaneous income.  See steps below for reporting this income. 

I think you are referring to Form SS-8 - Firms and workers file Form SS-8 to request a determination of the status of a worker for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding.  Use this link for more information about the form SS-8:  Form SS-8 IRS Explains

Follow these steps

In TurboTax, Click on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income (you may have to click "Show more" to expand this category
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • To the right of this category click Start or Revisit
  • Scroll down to Other Reportable Income
  • To the right of this category click Start or Revisit
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Grrr . . .

Ratzafratzin' ratzafratzers.

Well, better to be honest and safe (I hope) than sorry.  This should perhaps deter the agents, if they see such honest attention to income declaration detail.  We have nothing to hide, but color me a distrustful cynic.

Thanks, Cynthiad66.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies