turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taliabell

How do I prepare Form 1310 if the court appointed my brother and I as beneficiaries of my mother's probate estate? The form only has one contact person.

Can I fill out the form myself or do I need to send in a form from both my brother and I?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

How do I prepare Form 1310 if the court appointed my brother and I as beneficiaries of my mother's probate estate? The form only has one contact person.

Only one person can fill out the form, as only one person can claim the return for a deceased person.  The person named as executor/administrator of the estate is the one that will claim the refund.  If both of you are named the executor/administrator of the estate, then either one can claim the refund.   Do not send in two forms, as this will cause a delay in the refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your help! I just finished the return and it states I can't e-file it now. I guess I will have to print and send it in with Form 1310.  Your help was appreciated!

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

That is correct, you must mail Form 1310, either by itself or with the income tax return.  You will get the refund faster if you mail it with the income tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Perfect.  Thanks so much for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies