turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I open my return without making the updates. I just want to enter data and update later

@Minmin wrote:

Think everyone's missing the point that I purchased a 2019 download because Turbotax and the state I live in won't allow me to file online any longer. 

That seems to be a different question.   2019 e-file was closed on Oct 15, 2020 .      That happens every year.   No state had an e-file requirement if the software you are using does  not support e-file and TurboTax does not after Oct 15 for 2019 tax returns.  TurboTax e-file shuts down when  the IRS shuts down Federal e-file and state cannot be e-filed without the Federal first - states required that so that the Federal Identity checks would have to pass because of tax fraud, before the state could be e-filed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How do I open my return without making the updates. I just want to enter data and update later

Me too.   I get a pop up that "recommends" an update  but there is ZERO other option.   NO continue without update etc.  what moron programmers do you have?  I think this is my last year with Turbo tax as they have skimped on improving the software and it is like using a 1980s product. They do not even understand the problem that everyone here is having and give bogus solutions. 

gerald11

I TRY TOOPEN TURBO TAX 2019 AND AFTER UPDATES IDOES NOT OPEN TURBO TAX 2019

gerald11

i tried to open turbo tax 2019 after updates and it did notopen my return

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for troubleshooting tips on steps to help with running TurboTax: Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think I've found the solution! Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect from the Internet: either turn off your WiFi connection to your router, or unplug your Ethernet cable. (You can also unplug the router itself, or disable the internet connection in other ways)

2. Open TT and get the "update" message, but now it says "To get software updates, you need to connect to the Internet".

3. Click on "Cancel"; TT comes up without downloading and installing the updates. You can open a previously started return, for example.

4. Re-connect your computer to the internet.

4. I've found that, next time you want to start TT after a shutdown, it'll come up without asking to do updates; it seems to now remember that you don't have access (even though you do).

6. At some point (say, prior to doing a final check), you might want to "force" an update (either download the 250MB update file, or do it from within TT -- Online / Check for Updates).

I hope this works for everyone!

What worked this morning:

To open 2019 Business Turbotax without updating:

The program asked to update.

I clicked UPDATE, then clicked cancel before it finished updating.

The program then opened without updating !!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can turn off automatic updates.    Click on Online from the top Windows menu, then choose Updater Preferences and change the option 'Ask first' or 'I will do it on my own'.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I finally was able to open my 2019 Turbotax download without updating by right clicking on the file (before actually opening) then choose to "Run elevated".  Allowed me to bypass the requirements to run as an Administrator.  

Hope this helps!

Yes, this works.  So, when you first get TT, it's best to download the first update automatically.  After that, the updates can be disabled as you state.  Later (maybe before filing the return), you can do a manual update, then re-check your numbers.  Then, I prefer to disable Updates after I file my return(s) -- I don't want different "rules" after I've filed, since Intuit might correct an error in their code, and I won't be able to prove that my Return (created with their old rules) was correct at the time of filing.

It's because the tax code constantly changes in USA.  It is rare to open TT and NOT have it update.

You probably have it made in Canada with a sane tax system that works.

That was a great answer, and I also have been using PC version of TT since 1992 ( dont ask why, after all the problems over the years!).

As of today , April 15, 2021 ( yes, the fatefull day before Covid changed things) , the Auto Updater has failed me, and now i am locked out of opening my TT file i have work diligently on, and CANNOT FINISH and FILE.

Somebody at Intuit has been messing around with SSW upgrade, and has now affected us the Users.

So now what? 

I do NOT want to "get-in-line" on a Help Request

Fortunately your Federal return isn't due until May 15th (though, if you owe money, you should probably send it now, both Federal and State).  I suggest waiting a few hours (or a day or two), reboot your computer, and see if this resolves things. 

You could also install a new instantiation of TT, open it up (hopefully it'll download updates), and "point" to your TT file; it might open, with your current return, and you can finish it off.

Reading through this thread, seems users should have a choice whether or not to update, especially after filing.

The user should have confidence knowing they are looking at the same form they filed with.  At minimum, TT should provide a description of what changes were made.

In the privacy conscious age, it's unnecessary for Intuit to know every time a user open the app after they have filed.  Do we know what data is collected in addition to checking for update?  Location?  IP Address?  Is this data sent to third parties?

A simple disclaimer that the user is responsible for keeping the app/forms update to date is sufficient for legal purposes.  User can elect to download the update directly from the website.  There is a reason many of us opted to purchase the offline version rather than use the web version.

Thanks for your time.

kz1956

couldn't agree more!  I already filed my returns and would like to access my files, in the TT system: a. I want to see my return as filed, b.  I want to be able to see where certain inputs went and track through to final returns as filed results (particularly since this helps with tracking some sophisticated workarounds I have cobbled together with TT experts on phone calls over the years; note I am a CPA), c. I don't want different programmatic rules applied to my file after I've filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies