turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import last year’s tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

To import last year's tax return, please follow the instructions in these TurboTax Help articles:

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need a PDF version of your prior tax return in order for the import to work. Please see these TurboTax FAQ's for more information:

TurboTax Online:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

TurboTax Desktophttps://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I import prior year returns for more than one taxpayer? I know I can prepare 5 federal returns, but can I import prior year returns as a starting point for more than 1 of those returns?

I am using TT for Home and Business for Windows, CD/Download.

Yes, as long as you have a separate account set up for each person you are preparing a return for, which I am assuming you are. I hope I am interpreting your question correctly. 

How do I set up separate accounts in the CD/Download version? Everything I have read about separate accounts refers to the online version. 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

You cannot set up separate accounts within the CD/Download software.  The software is tied to one account, although it can be downloaded and installed on up to five computers.

You can also paper-file as many federal returns as you want using the CD/Download software, but only five of those can be e-filed per IRS regulations.

Additional Resources:

Activating TurboTax CD/Download software

How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In the Desktop program just start a new return.  Go to File - New.  Then the first thing it will do is ask if you want to transfer from 2019.  You need to have the .tax2019 on your computer for each person's return you want to do.  Where are the 2029 returns?

Also if you do another return for someone else like your child and their name is the same or similar to yours then it might overwrite your return.  You have to save each return with different names so you can tell them apart.  Like if your name is John and your son is also named John it will save them with the same name so the second one will overwrite the first return.  Go to File-SaveAs and give it a unique name.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies