turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get my 2019 tax return into Turbo Tax format so I can import it into 2020 software. Is only saved as a PDF and it is not importing correctly into 2020 version?

My final 2019 was saved only as a PDF on 4/29/20. I am having trouble getting a final TT version now. Last TT one saved was 3/13/20 and I don't want to have to go back and redo all the figures to import now to 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

How do I get my 2019 tax return into Turbo Tax format so I can import it into 2020 software. Is only saved as a PDF and it is not importing correctly into 2020 version?

If the PDF (the final, filed one) is a 1040 return that was generated through TurboTax, H&R Block, or TaxAct software, then yes you can. Otherwise, you will need to manually enter any and all information that the software does not already have in its system for you.

The PDF was generated by Turbo Tax 2019 but it would not open or import into Turbo Tax 2020.  Just letting you know so others will have a heads up.  Although TT says it will do this, I finally did get in touch with a live person and they said it would not.

How do you get the H&R Block PDF to be in the correct format? Cause it has several pages of stuff before the actual 1040 form that you mentioned.

I was never able to import the H&R PDF into the TT software and I tried it many many times and spoke to their support staff.  Best is to recreate it in the prior year TT software and import into current year.  Good Luck!

It seems that I will not be able to import my 2019 pdf-generated by a tax professional into TT Premier.  Namely, that the ONLY things that can be imported are the things they list in the TT Premier Application.  Bummer! 

Seems to me a beginner  that you won't be able to do this IF One can't even import a TT 2019 generated pdf into another and probably updated Turbo Tax.  Bummer. 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Click here for instructions on importing last year's tax return into TurboTax Online.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jdm19

I filed my 2019 taxes in TaxAct and I need my AGI so I can file 2020

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2019, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on line 8b. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.

If you're having trouble locating your 2019 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

I am having the same issue. I tried multiple things and none worked. I have the 2019 PDF on my laptop and the 2020 TurboTax says the file is too large and won't import.

Unfortunately you are probably going to have to recreate the 2019 return in last year's TT software so you can pull it into the 2020 version.  Hopefully my failure will save you a lot of time.  Really a pain but once you get past it you will feel better.  Good luck!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@SanDiego2929 If you don't have a ".tax" file for 2019, I don't know of any way to import a PDF file into TurboTax. It would be best to simply start fresh with the 2020 tax return input rather than recreate the 2019 tax return I would think.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies