turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get a refund? And how do I get turbo tax to pay what I owe the irs like its says in their satisfaction guaranteed?

How do I get a refund? And how do I get turbo tax to pay what I owe the irs like its says in their satisfaction guaranteed? Turbo tax said I was getting $400 back and the irs approved it, then they rejected it and said I owe $1300. Pretty big difference I would say.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I get a refund? And how do I get turbo tax to pay what I owe the irs like its says in their satisfaction guaranteed?

Turbo Tax is a self prepared return. It has no way of knowing or checking that you entered something wrong or in the wrong place or entered something twice It doesn't check against any outside sources. The IRS has copies of all the W2s and 1099s your employer and banks/brokers, etc. sent in to match against. Turbo Tax only checks the calculations of what you entered. It is your responsibility to check it over before you file.

And they don't pay the extra tax, just any penalties and interest.

Do you have an amount on 1040 line 30?  A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payments or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts. Do you have an amount on line 30? And you had to report the right amount in each box. If you put the total in 1 box it would give you the other amount again. The IRS knows they already sent it to you. Line 30 is only if you qualify more.

Going from a 400 Refund to 1300 tax due is a 1700 difference. Which could be for the first stimulus payment for Single with 1 dependent 1,200+500.  Did you already get the 1700 but it showed up again on line 30?  Did you enter the amounts you already got in the right 2 boxes when you filled out your return?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies