Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

merichris

How do I find my aig PIN number from last year online

Where is it
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Log into your Turbo Tax Account and scroll to the bottom of the page to My Tax Returns and Documents. Click on 2019 and select view adjusted Gross income (AGI). You can also look at a copy of your 2019 Tax return and look on the 1040 line 8b.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jcooper
Returning Member

I saw instruction that led to the AGI, but I need to find my PIN from last year and that of my wife in order to file for 2020. Can you tell me how to find them?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@jcooper You don't need a PIN number to Efile, just your 2019 AGI, unless the IRS sent you an IP PIN for identity theft.

If so, and you don't have the letter from the IRS with your IP PIN, click this link for info on How to Get your IRS IP PIN

jcooper
Returning Member

OK, thank you Marilyn, but when I got to the item in Turbotax that said to create a 5 digit PIN I made one up for myself and my wife. Turbotax had already filled in the AGI from 2019, but not the PINs. I submitted and my filing was rejected because the new PINS didn't match the old ones. If I didn't need them at all then I should be able to refile with those items blank, but I cannot find how to go back and undo that in Turbotax. If I can't fix this online I'll have to file by mail, which would take forever to get processed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

The 5 digit self-selected PIN you used to e-file last year with TurboTax is on the Federal Information worksheet for the year you filed, on Page 4 of the worksheet.  When you view/print your 2019 tax return make sure you check to Include Government and TurboTax Worksheets (optional), then select View or Print Forms. Try using last year's self selected PIN instead of mailing your tax return.

Here's where to enter last year's signature ID as your self-select PIN:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Keep going to refile your federal return message, select File in the left menu (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then tap File).
  3. Select Continue on the Welcome back screen. Don't select Fix my return, as this will take you to the wrong place.
  4. Select Continue, then Start next to Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns.
  5. Choose I want to e-file and on the next screen (Last year's tax info) select Edit.
  6. Keep going until you reach the screen To e-file successfully, the IRS needs...
  7. On that screen, select I can't get the 2019 tax return. I’ll print and mail or use the self-select PIN I created last year, and follow the instructions to enter your PIN and re-file your return.

@jcooper

jcooper
Returning Member

My problem is a little more complex. I lost my 2018 return with the Pin and AGI due to a computer hack, so filed by mail in 2019. thus the 5 digit pin is missing on the 2019 return. So I was hopiing that by registering with IRS online I could reset it, but can't see a way to do it. 

@ jcooper wrote:

My problem is a little more complex. I lost my 2018 return with the Pin and AGI due to a computer hack, so filed by mail in 2019. thus the 5 digit pin is missing on the 2019 return. So I was hopiing that by registering with IRS online I could reset it, but can't see a way to do it. 

You won't be able to use a 5-digit Prior-Year PIN (aka Prior-year Self-Select PIN) because you mailed your 2019 return.   You'll need to verify your 2020 efile with the 2019 AGI.   

Did you already try to efile by using the 2019 AGI, and did it reject?

• Use the 2019 AGI from the original 2019 return, not an amended one.
  • If your 2019 return was filed real late in the year, such as mid-November 2020 or later, you can try a 2019 AGI of 0 (zero).
  • Or if your mailed 2019 paper return was hung up in processing for several months at the IRS due to the Pandemic, the IRS may not yet have your 2019 AGI in their database.   In which case, you can try a 2019 AGI of 0.
  • If it's a joint return, both spouses use the same total 2019 AGI.  Do not divide or otherwise allocate it.

The program should also ask you to choose a 5-digit Self-Select PIN (the screen will say 5 digits of your choosing.)  It will be on a screen (possibly titled Signature ID) where it also asks you to enter today's date and your birth date.  Those 3 items and the 2019 AGI entered on a separate screen are how you electronically sign your 2020 return when efiling.   The Self-Select PIN you choose this year can be used again next year.

how do i find my pin for 2019 taxes

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The IRS requires your 2019 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. (If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI, because those are manually processed.)

Please check the link below for information on how to find your 2019 AGI:

How do I find last year's AGI?

edlisc

how do I find my PIN number from last year on line

@ edlisc wrote:

how do I find my PIN number from last year on line

You didn't say what kind of PIN, so I'll make an assumption below.

.   Are you referring to a 5-digit PIN entered in the FILE section when efiling?   Or are you referring to a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) assigned by the IRS to victims of ID theft (or to those who opted in to that program?)   An IP PIN is entered in a different section.

Since people are most commonly asking about the 5-digit PIN, that's what I will address.    Last year's 5-digit PIN (aka "Prior-Year PIN or Self-Select PIN") is not necessary to verify a 2021 return for efiling.  To verify your return for efiling you can use the 2020 AGI (most common) instead of using the PIN field (less common.)

There is a later screen that asks you to "Sign" the return that wants you to enter a 5-digit PIN (it tells you to choose any 5 numbers you want).   It's on a screen with today's date and your birth date.  The numbers you choose to enter on that "signature" screen is called a Self-Select PIN and can be used again next year, if you save it in a safe place.

Even though last year's 5-digit PIN Is not needed, some people may be able to find it.  It may be easier for desktop users than Online TurboTax users.   Among the worksheets is one called "Federal Information Worksheet."   Near the bottom of Page 4 of that Worksheet, the 5-digit PIN might be displayed.  Online users would need a full PDF containing the worksheets, and some Online users reported that method didn't work for them--that it wasn't on their worksheet.  But again, the 5-digit PIN from last year is not needed if one uses the 2020 AGI for efile verification.

rgssoith

How do I find the pin number I used to file my tax return last year?

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

If you are referring to the e-filing pin, the IRS discontinued the e-file pin. You will now just need to know your AGI.

@rgssoith

Where do I find my PIN number?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies