turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When would I file a 2nd state return?

My wife and I live and work in Oregon but my wife makes about $850 in Minnesota every year in July as a camp counselor.  We get a w2 from Minnesota and it looks like this:

wages $850

Federal tax $93, S.S $53,  Minn state tax $41

The question is Turbo Tax wants $44.99 to do the state return.  Our AIG is about $92k   We have traditionally ignored doing the state return since we think it would be a wash or we would lose a few bucks doing it.  Is there a way to do this without paying for the extra state and entering things online so I dont have to do any calculations?

Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thanks so much, I started working on the non-resident form but it was a pain. Nothing auto fills. Such a headache. Your response puts me at ease. Thank you!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

As a nonresident, you must file a Minnesota return if your Minnesota gross income meets the minimum filing requirement ($10,650 in 2018). If you filed the Minnesota state tax, you would only be able to get the $41 returned so you would be out $3.99 if you use Turbo Tax to prepare the return. 

Unfortunately, you would have to prepare the Nonresident return on paper to get the refund, which as you said would probably not be worth the effort based on the value of your time.  As a nonresident employee, the camp is required to withhold for state income tax for work performed in Minnesota because they are required to withhold for federal income taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much, I started working on the non-resident form but it was a pain. Nothing auto fills. Such a headache. Your response puts me at ease. Thank you!

You could do a separate 1040 file for MN which should be free through turbo tax and it would be very easy to do with $0 cost to you (i believe) but, I have options to add a 2nd W2 on Intuit (turbo tax) from a different state. Not sure why you don't have this option???

I've been in this situation for several years now. This year I see the 2nd state return will cost $45. This fee is highway robbery in that I bought Turbotax Deluxe WITH a state return on Amazon for $40! $20 per state would be a more reasonable amount to charge; maybe $30. But as much as the whole Fed/State package to start?! 

eileen hoa wong
Returning Member

How could I file a 2nd state return for free

eileen hoa wong
Returning Member

How could I file a 2nd state return for 2017 for free

If you own TurboTax 2017 Deluxe or better with State Return then you can create a return for the 1st state you choose for free. If you have tax liabilities in a 2nd state, you will have to "buy" the right to use the TurboTax software specific for the second state.  I believe this is what you are asking.

However, if you want to create a return for a 2nd person for the same state, you can do that for free. You just create a new tax return in TurboTax 2017. Again, you can only create tax returns for one specific state for free with the normal purchase price of the initial software package.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies