Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I obtain a dependants modified agi for 2022? If not currently on speaking terms with them. How can I obtain this info to input with the 1095-A Healthcare info?

Yes, they qualify as a dependant (student that I paid for their living expenses), it says I need to enter the magi from their tax return in order for me to file me taxes. The dependant did not use the heathcare, however their income must be included as a part of the household (they were in the household during 2022 but I am not in touch currently).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How can I obtain a dependants modified agi for 2022? If not currently on speaking terms with them. How can I obtain this info to input with the 1095-A Healthcare info?

The IRS is not going to give you information about someone else's tax return;  TurboTax cannot help you obtain that information.   Sorry....you are on your own to get the information from your dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thanks. I wasn't thinking the IRS would do that. I was wondering if there was anyway to get what was needed or even if I can have the healthcare.org input the info on their end some how. I will try to ask for it again, thanks. 

Carl
Level 15

(student that I paid for their living expenses)

Just FYI, but there is absolutely no requirement for the parent(s) to pay one penny of the student's living expenses. The support requirement is on the student, and only the student. The requirement is:

If the STUDENT did NOT provide more than half of their own support for the entire tax year, then the parent(s) qualify to claim the student as a dependent on the parent(s) tax return. (That's just one of 5 requirements.)

There are only two possible ways the student can lay claim to providing more than half of their own support. Thir party income such as scholarships, grants, 529 distributions, gifts from Aunt Mary, money from parents, etc. do not count for the student providing their own support. The two possible ways are:

1. The student is self-employed or has a W-2 job that paid them a sufficient amount during the tax year to justify any claim to providing more than half of their own support. Additionally, the money they earned and were paid must be more than the total of all third party income received by the student, and by the school on behalf of the student.

2. The student was the primary borrower on a qualified student loan, and sufficient funds were distributed to the student during the tax year to justify their claim to providing more than half of their own support. Additionally, the total funds distributed to the student, or to the school on behalf of the student must be more than the total of all third party income received during the tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies