turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get Turbo Taxes help with estimated taxes? I have already completed my 2020 return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How can I get Turbo Taxes help with estimated taxes? I have already completed my 2020 return.

If you have already submitted your tax return, you will have to wait until Feb 12 when the IRS opens the gate. You cannot return to the program to make any changes before that. 

If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program to make your correction along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, you will have to amend your return by filing a form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Beginning with the 2019 tax year, you can e-file amended tax returns. If you used TurboTax to prepare Form 1040-X, follow the software's instructions to e-file the amendment.

To see how to amend your taxes, click here: 

Steps to amend in TurboTax

How to file amendment

If you are referring to the estimated taxes you have paid in 2020, here are the steps:

• Sign back into the program and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimated tax payments and Enter
  • Select Jump to estimated tax payments
  • Follow prompts

If you are referring to adjust your Form W-4 to estimate your future taxes, here are the steps:

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in w4 and Enter
  • Select the Jump to w4
  • Follow prompts 

For more information, click here: 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4

If at filing time, you have not paid enough income taxes through withholding or quarterly estimated payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment.  To learn more, click here: Estimated Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the in depth answer! I should have said that I am self-employed. I had a loss this year (TY 2020) because of start up expenses but anticipate a substantial profit next year. I don't want to get caught short at tax time next year.

Does that change the answer?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You will be liable for self-employment tax as well as Federal income tax.  Make sure that you allow for both.

Self-employment tax is the Social Security and Medicare tax paid by self-employed individuals.  It is similar to FICA which is the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from an employee's paycheck.

The Self-employment tax rate is 15.3% which is 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare.

See also this TurboTax Help.

James,

Thanks for the reply. I totally get all of that. I have paid self-employment taxes in the past but its never been the bulk of my income so I've never had to pay estimated taxes.  My question is about determining the amount of and paying the estimated taxes.  I know I can do it myself directly with the IRS - just trying to figure out if TurboTax can help me.

Thanks!

And please let me add that I know there is an estimator (https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/self-employed/) that might do what I need but I can't access it. When I click on the link, it takes me to the entry page as if I'm a new customer. When I sign in, it takes me to my "You Filed!" page... 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS has an estimator at this webpage:

The Internal Revenue Service said today that the new Tax Withholding Estimator tool includes a feature designed to make it easier for employees who also receive self-employment income to accurately estimate the right amount of tax to have taken out of their pay.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The Internal Revenue Service said today that the new Tax Withholding Estimator tool includes a feature designed to make it easier for employees who also receive self-employment income to accurately estimate the right amount of tax to have taken out of their pay.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS has an estimator at this webpage.

he Internal Revenue Service said today that the new Tax Withholding Estimator tool includes a feature designed to make it easier for employees who also receive self-employment income to accurately estimate the right amount of tax to have taken out of their pay.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS has an estimator at this webpage.

he Internal Revenue Service said today that the new Tax Withholding Estimator tool includes a feature designed to make it easier for employees who also receive self-employment income to accurately estimate the right amount of tax to have taken out of their pay.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies