turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daegishin

How can I get ITIN as soon as possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

To get an ITIN you need to attach a tax return to the W-7 per the IRS instructions ...

How do I apply for an ITIN?
Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
     Austin Service Center
     ITIN Operation
     P.O. Box 149342
     Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit some key IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on a walk-in or appointment basis. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers through the mail.

If you also need to file a State return you should file a timely extension and pay any tax due (if applicable)  and wait for the ITIN to be issued to complete the return. 

RichardG

There are three ways to get an ITIN:

• File form W-7 with the IRS
  • Go to your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
  • Go to an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent

Options two and three will be the quickest way to obtain an ITIN.  Please follow this link for more information and where to locate an IRS Assistance Center or Acceptance Agent.  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

@juancromero26, if the answers provided by SuperUser Critter and TurboTaxRichardG do not answer your question, please re-post with a specific question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bbrad1197

I had to pay 2018 taxes, do that stil qualify as having my direct deposit info

No it does not ... go onto the IRS portal to add your DD info to your account when you can ... site has been riddles with glitches  :   https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

I need to get an Itin number for my husband so I can get an bank account together and file my taxes.

How do I file with a W-7?

TurboTax doesn't include Form W-7, so you'll have to download it directly from the IRS, fill it in, and print it out (see these IRS instructions for help with that).

Then, complete your return as you normally would. Leave the applicant's Social Security Number field blank, and disregard any warnings about the empty field or missing health care info for the applicant.

When your return is finished, go to the File section and follow the steps to print a paper copy of your return, as you won't be able to e-file with a missing SSN.

Bring your printed, signed return (along with any attachments per the filing instructions, such as W-2s or 1099s), the completed W-7, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to your acceptance agent or an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Alternatively, you can mail everything to:

Internal Revenue Service                
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

See also General ITIN Information at IRS.gov.

There is no speedy way to do it ... and you can use a bank account with only your name on it if you file a joint return.  

shloma

the IRS ITIN Operation center is open now?

It is supposed to be. 

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

shloma

but its not cloed do to the covid -19?

Just like the rest of the world the offices are opening even if on a reduced basis... you can try to call. 

shloma

WHAT IS THE PHONE NUMBER

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

As stated above, the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040. Expect delays at this time. While the IRS is open, they are still getting caught up on processing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies