Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I extend my tax deadline beyond 10/16/23? I don't owe.

I already filed the first extension from April and taxes are now due 10/16/23 but I need to obtain another extension. How can I obtain another extension beyond 10/16/23? I don't anticipate owing any taxes at all. 

Thank you 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Note - I do not anticipate owing any taxes so no payment needed. 

There are no second extensions.   So.....after the October deadline you will just be late.   Online tax preparation and e-filing will close after the October deadline, so if you miss it you will need to use the CD/download on a full PC or Mac, and mail your tax returns.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

Hello:

The tax extension deadline is set and further extensions of time are not allowed.   

The standard tax extension allows you to file your tax return after the usual deadline. However, it doesn't buy you more time to pay any taxes you may owe. That means that if you don’t pay your tax balance by the filing deadline, you'll get hit with penalty and interest.

Even if you can’t pay it all immediately, pay as much as you can. Penalties and interest are based on how much you owe and for how long.

I can get you a link for payment vouchers to alleviate penalties/interest.   Also, TurboTax has a great tax caster to help you calculate your estimated taxes due:   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Have an amazing day. Evelyn M (CPA 20+ years)
I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tanisha EA
Employee Tax Expert

If you are in a federally declaired disaster area, you may qualify for an extended period of time to file.  

Please review the IRS webpage to see if you qualify.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-relief-in-disaster-situations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax Live Full Service Tax Expert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies