turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home address on W2 is in the wrong state

My wife and I both live and work in DC, but the address on her W2 is an old address, in MD. How do I solve this? Clearly MD has withheld taxes, but those funds need to be returned entirely and we need to pay taxes in DC. I know we need to file state taxes in DC, but have no clue how to get the funds back from MD. Does anyone know how to solve this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to file an MD nonresident return and allocate zero income to MD.  This will refund the withholding.  Be sure to update the state withholding with your employer to stop MD and start DC withholding.

In the "My Info" section scroll down to "Other State Income" and indicate you earned income in another state and select MD.  This will generate the nonresident forms.  In the MD interview you will be asked to allocate each of the income sources.  Allocate zero to MD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this quick response. How do I handle the DC portion?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

You will file a resident return for DC.  If for some reason MD non-resident return doesn't refund the taxes withheld entirety you will claim a credit for taxes paid to another state.  For more information, see the link below:

Multiple States

@strakajagr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

In the Personal Info section of TT, enter DC as the State of Residence for both you and your wife.  The program will generate a DC tax return.  Assuming you and your wife were DC residents all of 2022, ALL of your income is taxable by DC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

We were and it will. I'm dreading the check I'm gonna have to write to DC while I wait for MD to refund all the tax it collected. Sigh.

Thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies