Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjb07

Help with State backtaxes

Hello,

I have completed my IRS taxes on TurboTax for the last 5 years using the free online option. I have to complete back taxes for the State of Illinois from 2015, 2016 and 2017. If I purchase the Deluxe version for these three years, will I be able to complete my Illinois state taxes? The key is I need either A. Access to my old completed 1040 forms or B. the ability to complete using data on the 1040 saved in Turbotax.

Thank you,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes.  You will need to try to download the .tax file for each year to continue and do state.  But you will probably need to call in and have them unlock the files if you used the Free Edition and bought the Desktop programs.  But it might get expensive buying 3 programs.  I would go to the state website and download the blank forms and try to do them for free.  You have to print and mail them anyway.  

And by the way, mail each year in a separate envelope.  

What is the Turbo Tax Phone number Https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number   

mjb07

Thank you for your response.

I think it's going to get expensive either way. I need several lines of data from my prior year IRS 1040 form to complete state. I'm not sure if I can redo the IRS 1040 manually and enter the data in state web portal. If I have to order my prior year forms from the IRS, it will be $50 per year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies