turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Help!! Turbotax stopped working error message

@ Bprodeo14  wrote:

I’m having the same problem with the error message and tt not working. I have windows 10

This thread is mostly about folks using Windows 7 and a known issue.  Here's something quick to try for your Windows 10 version, which may or may not help.

Before launching TurboTax, right-click on the TurboTax icon and choose Properties.

In the Properties box, click the Compatibility tab.

Windows 7 users would then choose run in compatibility for Windows 7, but that doesn't apply to Windows 10 users.  So skip that part since you are using Windows 10.

Scroll down near the bottom and place a checkmark for "Run this program as an administrator."

Click OK to save.

Then launch TurboTax.   Do you still have the problem?

My exact issue also and I'm on Windows 7. I specifically read at install that 2019 TTax would work with Windows 7 but that I would need to upgrade to Win 10 to use next year's software. Intuit must know they have to fix this issue, but when?? I am a VA resident and need to file and pay my state taxes by June 1!

@4kudosdad 

For Windows 10, 8GB memory is minimum along with a multi-core processor.

That's why your laptop is able to function, barely.

You also have enough HD space.

To others: with less than 8GB, this is not going to work out well.

OK listen up...just got the work around to the problem. I called 1-800-4INTUIT [phone number removed]) and they walked me through clicking a box in the software to "work in compatibility mode" with Windows 7. Stayed on the line with me to make sure software didn't crash...and it didn't! Good luck to all!

jerry751

All of my turbotax icons on my windows 10 for the last 5 years will bring up the downloaded program but none of my last 5 years of tax files show up . the error code is "unable to retrieve file. HELP. when I look at my files they are all there but I cant open them

@ jerry751 wrote:

All of my turbotax icons on my windows 10 for the last 5 years will bring up the downloaded program but none of my last 5 years of tax files show up . the error code is "unable to retrieve file. HELP. when I look at my files they are all there but I cant open them

The default folder for tax files in Windows 10 is the  \Documents\TurboTax folder.  In File Explorer, when you look at that folder, do you see the tax files such as *. tax2016,  *.tax2017, *.tax2018, etc.?

Go back to the Windows desktop, and click on the 2017 TurboTax desktop icon to launch 2017 TurboTax.   At the TurboTax main screen, click in the left upper corner of the interface on FILE (in the top TT menubar), and in the dropdown menu choose OPEN TAX RETURN.   Then in the file directory popup, point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2017 data file (probably the default folder I mentioned above.)

Does that open the file, or is that where you get the error message?

FarmBoy

When I get the "message" TT starts over automatically.  Cannot move forward to finish my taxes!

FarmBoy

I did the repair in Windows, it resulted in some "error message" that I clicked Finish, I restarted TT and it wanted to run updates, I updated and so far it seems to be working as it should.  I have been able to continue with my return !!!

jay888

Same exact issue. Windows 7 Ultimate edition and the problem started right after installing the most recent update. I tried to "repair" TurboTax, but that process failed. So I reinstalled the application, but I get the same error.

Not everything I try causes a crash. For example, I can change values for certain inputs using the forms view and save the results without a crash.  The bottom line is the program has a problem and I don't have confidence that it's doing my taxes properly when it's crashing all the time.

@jay888 wrote:

Same exact issue. Windows 7 Ultimate edition and the problem started right after installing the most recent update. I tried to "repair" TurboTax, but that process failed. So I reinstalled the application, but I get the same error.

Not everything I try causes a crash. For example, I can change values for certain inputs using the forms view and save the results without a crash.  The bottom line is the program has a problem and I don't have confidence that it's doing my taxes properly when it's crashing all the time.\

Did you read this thread which mentions the workaround several times?   The following FAQ outlines the workaround steps that most folks with the Windows 7 crash issue have used:

FAQ:   TurboTax 2019 crashes on Windows 7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-turbotax-2019-crashing-during-income-ent...

SueDellie

Still having this issue - anyone found a solution yet?

It was on a Windows computer, after TurboTax update a couple of weeks ago.  Keeps asking for activation code even though taxes half filed and 100% complete.

llpadie

I downloaded new updates today, May 31 2020, for turbotax 2019 and I keep having the same issue.  Am also using Windows 7.

Did you read this thread which mentions the workaround several times?   The following FAQ outlines the workaround steps that most folks with the Windows 7 crash issue have used:

FAQ:   TurboTax 2019 crashes on Windows 7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-turbotax-2019-crashing-during-income-ent...

Rick69

This is from an early post that you can see if you scroll thru these post.  I did it and it worked for me.  You will need your 14 digit license code to restart it.  Good Luck.

Prior to launching TT, right click your program icon and select "properties".

In the properties box, select the "compatibility" tab.

On the compatibility tab CHECK the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode"

Checking this box will open a drop down menu.  In the drop down menu select "Windows 7"

CHECK the box next to "run as administrator".

Then click "Apply"

Then click "OK"

After doing this i seem to be able to continue a return that had been crashing for me.

I have not yet finished the return so this may yet be some false hope... but it may just do the trick.

good luck

32 Replies

Your online system is broke. I need a copy of my 2019 taxes so I can buy a home. If this issue is not fixed soon I will no longer do business with intuit or turbo tax.I need it now. Been trying to use the system for 2 weeks and still nothing

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies