Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Help!! Turbotax stopped working error message

There are a ton of software packages including Microsoft that have no issue with using Windows 7.  There should be no reason that Turbo Tax does not support Windorws 7

bonzee12

I am having the same issue, I had to re-enter license with each login now have I receive message that I have exceeded my license code use

GaryFuller
Returning Member

I too am getting the TurboTax stopped working error.  Also using Windows 7.   Had previously installed and run the program - imported prior profile, entered earning and imported interest/dividend.  stopped there.  Today when I ran the program it wanted to install a number of updates.  Opened the prior return and went to update some dividends and it crashed.  tried a couple more times with same result.  Rebooted entire machine and ran clicked the desktop icon, this time it wanted the activation code, tried opening the prior return same thing in trying to make some updates to interest, it crashes and restarts back into the screen to pick a return.  This time I tried to start a new return, it found last year's and imported data, answered a few questions... but it crashed again before I got to the guided interview.

@GaryFuller wrote:

I too am getting the TurboTax stopped working error.  Also using Windows 7.   Had previously installed and run the program - imported prior profile, entered earning and imported interest/dividend.  stopped there.  Today when I ran the program it wanted to install a number of updates.  Opened the prior return and went to update some dividends and it crashed.  tried a couple more times with same result.  Rebooted entire machine and ran clicked the desktop icon, this time it wanted the activation code, tried opening the prior return same thing in trying to make some updates to interest, it crashes and restarts back into the screen to pick a return.  This time I tried to start a new return, it found last year's and imported data, answered a few questions... but it crashed again before I got to the guided interview.

Since you are using Windows 7, did you read the other comments in this thread?  Higher up in this thread several users said that the following suggestion from user "civres" worked for them:

Do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

Click Properties.

Click to open Compatibility tab.

Click checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Then select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

At bottom of screen, click checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

GaryFuller
Returning Member

Yes. the "right click on the TT icon, select "Properties", then  "Compatibility" tab, then check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for:" then select Windows 7, then run as administrator." aseems to have resolved the issues.  Thanks

Yep, me too. Same thing... Windows 7, TurboTax stopped working. The whole uninstall reinstall, reset computer to earlier save point, manually entered all my information, imported my information, started completely over. Been doing the taxes on intervals. Trying to do my wife's today, and that's where the problem is now. Finished mine a week and a half ago with no hiccups but didn't send it cuz I wanted to send both of them at the same time as I always do. Now I can't do anything with either of them.

Was definately after the last update. This is not right and needs to be addressed and fixed so the hundreds of thousands of windows 7 users can finish our taxes.  You cannot purposely make the program incompatible or not work until tax season is over.

I've invested yearly with Intuit since 2009. Just read bout a get-a-round with running as administrator. Will try and give update.

UPDATE:  It works! Thank you Mesquitebean for the repost of the solution.

Please resolve the Windows 7 issue.

everything was working until the latest software update from turbo tax.

I don’t know what to do at this point - I have to file my taxes and time is running out!!

the following suggestion from user "civres" worked for them:

Do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

Click Properties.

Click to open Compatibility tab.

Click checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Then select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

At bottom of screen, click checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

Same problem/challenge - using Win7 Pro 64-bit - suspect TT update is culprit - very unlike TT to let this go this long.

First did the work around not work ?

And second ... fixes for any WIN 7 related issues  will probably get it fixed eventually.  

Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2019 software for Windows Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Business editions. We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.

Operating System

• 2019: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1. Although TurboTax 2019 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), we strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing. More info
  • 2017 and 2018: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, or Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
  • 2016: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 or later)

Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.

UPDATE: The recommended "work around" WORKED.  Thank you to all who contributed 🙂 !

i Have received the error Turbotax is not working.  I have been using Intuit Turbotax for the past 15 years and have never experienced this error. I am using Windows 7 and I think that the program is infected.

I tried the solution (Changing TTax properties to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7).  When I open Turbo Tax up, it says my product is installed (I've been using it for months), but wants to Activate it.  It's asking for the License Code that is on the CD..... which in my case is in my other house in another state.  Doesn't Turbo Tax test their software updates before publishing them??  I don't have time for this nonsense!

@ TaxSlayer1 wrote:

I tried the solution (Changing TTax properties to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7).  When I open Turbo Tax up, it says my product is installed (I've been using it for months), but wants to Activate it.  It's asking for the License Code that is on the CD..... which in my case is in my other house in another state. 

That was only one of the steps.  In addition to choosing compatibility mode for Windows 7, in that Properties popup did you also place a checkmark for "Run this program as an administrator" as other users have had to do?

If not, try placing the checkmark and see if that solves the problem.   You didn't mention it, so I don't know if you already did that or not.

I am having the same problem. How can it be fixed. Help!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies