turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kcmmck

Help!! Turbotax stopped working error message

Just started working on  taxes and TT self-updated...   Then TT kept crashing on almost every "Continue".   So while waiting for an agent to call, I kept saving my return after every step before hitting "Continue", "Next", etc.   At some point, TT no longer crashed (last was after uploading brokerage info).    I started a new return and the previous crashing didn't happen so somehow TT self-cured itself...     Just wanted to tell you my experience on Win7...  Hopefully will keep working.

Did you change Compatibility mode to Win 7?

gweste

[phone number removed]

Solution:

Do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

Click Properties.

Click to open Compatibility tab.

Click checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Then select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

At bottom of screen, click checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

So far, TT is now working.

Same issue and CAN'T get through to Turbo Tax !  Hope that they're working on it !!!!

Read the posts in this thread ... a couple of solutions were posted ... try them.

Civres solution seems to work.  Except that when I checked run as administrator, Turbotax asked me to enter the activation key.  I entered the same key I initially used and it said that the key was invalid!  Tried unchecking the run as administrator box and this time it seems to work.   VERY FRUSTRATING INTUIT!!!

I just made the change exactly as per Civres instruction.  I did this for Premier, and I'm now able to make changes to a return I started a few weeks ago.  It's now working perfectly/normally.

Once I do that, I'll need to do the same with Business so I can settle a Trust (1041).  It exhibited the same "stopped working" as Premier did after the update.  Let's hope the work-around applies to all versions.

But wait!  If TT fixes the bug, will it still work in Compatibility mode, or will it screw itself up again?

Here's the Civres instructions in case someone missed it:

Do not open Turbotax yet.  First, RIGHT CLICK on TurboTax icon.

Click Properties.

Click to open Compatibility tab.

Click checkmark next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Then select Windows 7 from drop down menu.

At bottom of screen, click checkmark next to "Run this program as an administrator"

Cms8

I'm experiencing the same thing as well.  Just ran a full scan on my whole computer in case that was the issue, and nothing came up.  Have Windows 7.  When I worked on TurboTax in April, I had no issues.  Revisited now to finish them up, and it keeps bumping me off... so frustrating!  The problem must be within TurboTax!

If you do the Civres hack, above, it will work.  I've now done it to Premier and Business (the big Business, not Home&Business) and both are running smoothly.  Sure, it's a bug within TT, but why worry about it?  Just fix the problem using the Compatibility hack.

CL36
Level 1

This workaround solved the issue for me, thank you!

mariof

I was having the same problem on two different Windows 7 computers.  I made the changes to the TurboTax program properties suggested by civres

The changes solved the problem on both computers!  I haven't completely finished entering data for my fed and state returns, but making this change got me well past the point TT would have previously crashed every single time.  Thank you, civres!

PS: If you make these changes, be sure to remember that you did.  If Intuit eventually fixes the root problem and releases an update to their software, the changes might need to be "undone" in order for the corrected TT.exe to work properly.

JT180

Just paid $40 upgraded to Home & Business version and hope it will work. And it worked for only 5 minutes then crashed again and again. Frustrated :(

@JT180   Are you on Windows 7?  There seems to be a problem with that.  Here's a couple posts on it but the links are not working right now.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-no-tech-support-for-turbotax-2019-crashing-on-...

And https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-no-tech-support-for-turbotax-2019-crashing-on-...

This fix worked on the 2018 edition that also had the error!  Thanks @civres !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies