turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

My parents wrongly claimed me as dependent? Tax year 2013

If you were claimed by someone but were independent, then the only thing that can be done is to file your return as an independent through the mail. 

The IRS will apply their rules to determine if you should have been independent and adjust the other tax return accordingly. Penalties and interest will be assessed for underreporting income.

If a person was claimed as a dependent that was not dependent, paper file an amended 2017 tax return by May 17, 2021 as an independent. There are only three open years besides the current filing year. Therefore, as of May 18, 2021, 2017 would be a closed tax year and no refunds for that year would be allowed

Filing an amended return for 2018 and 2019 claiming yourself as an independent would be allowable through April 15, 2022 and April 15, 2023, respectively. 

For more information, see: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed?

Regarding the 2020 tax year, when filing as an independent, you may be eligible for the stimulus payments. The only way to get the first and second stimulus payments if they have not been received yet is to file for the Recovery Rebate Credit. These payments are not taxable but must be reported to calculate any Recovery Rebate Credit.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

The first stimulus payment was for up to $1,200 each.

The second stimulus payment was for up to $600 each.

The third stimulus payment was for up to $1,400 each.

Click this link to see if you qualify to file for free: IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

Otherwise, start your return with TurboTax Free Edition.

See: What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition?

@doggy2021

@Rellartis20

RachelV
Returning Member

What form do I file to amend my taxes since I originally filed as a dependent of my mother; the IRS amended her return as I made too much money in 2021 and now I would like to amend my return to reflect this

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies