turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello I request an amended refund, to add my daughter as dependant of me(I'm alien residant) but she doesn't have SSN. I want know if she can get ITIN and how to do it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Hello I request an amended refund, to add my daughter as dependant of me(I'm alien residant) but she doesn't have SSN. I want know if she can get ITIN and how to do it.

You can't apply for an ITIN through TurboTax. You will have to file a Form W-7 separately to obtain the identification number. 

Here are the steps on how to submit your income taxes and apply for an ITIN simultaneously with TurboTax program:

1. In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank.
  2. After entering all your information, print out returns and required forms ( write APPLIED FOR in the SSN space).
  3. As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, click here for the form and instructions.
  4. Attach it to other required  documentation.
  5. Submit everything including your tax forms to the IRS. See the instructions on page 5.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think applying for a ITIN will reduce the child credit and this will be a "dependent" credit instead of a child credit (this is for $500, not $2000). It would be really nice if someone could confirm this as I missed out of the resident alien child credit in 2019 (recalculated when applying for ITIN with $2000 credit). I've called the IRS 6 times about this and everytime is different, but the ITA suggests the dependent and $500 route is the correct one. It would be nice to know how to use this dependent credit in Turbo Tax. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

When you file Form W-7 and your income tax return, taxpayers with an ITIN can claim dependents. The requirements to claim a dependent are the same as those who have a Social Security number. To qualify, the dependent must be your child and live with you.

May I claim the child tax credit for a child who has an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) rather than a social security number (SSN)?

Answer

No, you may not claim the child tax credit for a child with an ITIN. The child must have an SSN to be a qualifying child eligible for the child tax credit (CTC) or the additional child tax credit (ACTC).  IRS ITIN Child Tax Credit

Please recview these guidelines for Resident Aliens;  Tax Guidelines for Resident Aliens

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please elaborate on this reply. If I am reading this right, resident aliens can use their children for the dependent credit but not the child tax credit.

If this is correct, please let me know how to enter my child as a dependent in Turbo Tax - the $2000 option child credit is the only option (download version).

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  If your dependent only have ITIN, you can not claim Child Tax Credit. You can claim the Credit for Other Dependent on her on your taxes. 

Per IRS, for some tax benefits, for example, the Earned Income Credit EIN or the Child Tax Credit, they must have an SSN in order for you to claim. To read more, click here: ITIN benefits

If you have not filed, to enter your daughter under Dependent, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• After sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • Select tab from the left panel My Info
  • On the screen Your Personal Summary, scroll down to Dependents section to enter info.

@Malcolm5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. Thank you for your help. As default, Turbo Tax (download version) only allows the $2000 child credit and there is no place I see to put in the $500 dependent credit. I think possibly because there is no way to differentiate myself as a resident alien in Turbo Tax. How can I enter the dependent $500 credit in Turbo Tax and forego the $2000 child credit?

Thanks

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

The question is whether your child has a social security number or not.  If your child has a social security number, the child qualifies for the child tax credit.  If the child does not have a valid social security number, they do not.  

If your child does not have a social security number or an ITIN and is hot eligible to receive a social security number you can apply for an ITIN for your child by following these steps to submit your Federal return with a request for ITIN, and your state return when you have an ITIN request pending: 

1. Complete IRS Form W-7.  

2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 or 305-44-0001 in place of a Social Security Number (SSN).

3. Print the tax returns and white out or cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. 

4. Write "Applying for ITINApplication attached" next to the SSN field.

5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentationr required.(original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents)

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit some key IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on an appointment basis only. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers through the mail.

6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to follow-up with this and say that this worked. Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies