turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Head of Household

Hey guys, I have a question to ask.  My mom recently retired, so she isn't working anymore.  She makes less than $4050 so I know I can file her as a dependent.  The house is under my brother house, but I have paid for the house every since I started working.  Have bank statement to prove it.  So my mom lives with me.  I paid for the groceries, house and school and water taxes, phone bills, internet bills, electricity, gas, and other bills to fix the house.  The thing is the bills on the two bills are my two brothers name.  They moved out along time ago with their spouse and children.  I just pay for the bills whenever I get pay. I do provide more than half the support for my mom since she lives with me and doesn't work anymore.  I want to file as head of household.  I only kept the utility bills and such.  I threw away the receipts from buying the groceries. I still have all of these bank statement activities from chase and bank of america.  Can i still file as head of household even though the bills are in my brothers name?  I just pay for the bills.  I never thought about changing the bills to my name before because all of those years my mom work so I couldn't claim her as a dependent or head of household.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Head of Household

In table 2 step 7.  It says it has to be 2 people together supporting more than half the person total support? So it means 2 people support more than half support for another person?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies