Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Has anyone successfully imported from Betterment? I can't get it to work and TurboTax Help is useless.

This is correct. The desktop version is still not importing from Betterment. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Has anyone successfully imported from Betterment? I can't get it to work and TurboTax Help is useless.

Another option, type in 4 lines manually. Each line is the total for that type of transaction. The IRS has the same brokerage statement and totals.

Enter the totals for each:

• short term covered
  • short term non-covered
  • long term covered
  • long term non-covered
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After four support calls with TurboTax, we arrived at the workaround of using TurboTax Premiere online. I was able to successfully import my Betterment tax documents to the online version. I did not then download the TurboTax return to my desktop version as I would then be unable to use my 2018 return with my new 2019 return (cannot merge two returns with a new return). I had to stay with the TT Premiere online, upload my 2018 TT return, import Betterment forms, and re-enter all of my other 2019 tax information. Note that I have used TT Deluxe desktop for the past three years with no problems importing from Betterment, but had to upgrade to TT Premiere online in order to process my schedule D.

TurboTax support gave me codes for the free use of TT Premiere online in consideration of my being unable to use the TT Deluxe desktop app I had purchased.
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am glad you were able to upload and work through it. Thanks for the information!  @riche

dougtt

Wanted to chime in and say that I ran into the same issue. I was originally using the Deluxe desktop app (on mac), then upgraded to the Premier desktop app but still faced the same issue. I was only able to get it working through the online Premier version, which Turbo Tax support helped me transfer my license to so I wouldn't have to buy it again.

You can't do this if your Betterment 1099-B has any wash sales, and they almost always do.  Wash sales require you to adjust any loss to zero on the form 8949.  Plus, you can only do this for short- and long-term covered securities.  Short- and long-term non-covered securities have to be listed on the form 8949.

how do you create an app specific password for turbotax

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@erickangel

Please see this Help Article from Betterment on importing.  Within the document, it has information about generating an App Password.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies