Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Found error in the calculation on TurboTax the subtraction of line 24 (total tax) with line 33 (total payments) gives in my case a result that is $304 too high

I verified manually and via FreeTaxUSA

the result would be that I would pay the IRS $304 too much

this is a simple calculation!!!!!!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Found error in the calculation on TurboTax the subtraction of line 24 (total tax) with line 33 (total payments) gives in my case a result that is $304 too high

You may have a penalty entered on line 38 that is being added to the total due on line 37. If you print the return out, you will notice that line 37 does not mention subtracting line 33 from line 24, I think it may say that on the form you posted, I can't read it, but the actual form does not say that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

2021-02-01 11_44_09-Window.jpg

As one can clearly see the calculation of $12,867 - $8,464 = $4,707 is incorrect. The correct result is $4,403 which is $304 less. I have no idea how the system could make such a strange miscalculation. I can get it right by calculator or in my head and so does for that matter e.g. the software FreeTaxUSA.

Now I need to wonder what other bugs might be in the system that I am using since 2013.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may have a penalty entered on line 38 that is being added to the total due on line 37. If you print the return out, you will notice that line 37 does not mention subtracting line 33 from line 24, I think it may say that on the form you posted, I can't read it, but the actual form does not say that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great!

That is the solution.

However, the instructions on the form (not the fault of TurboTax) are misleading. It should contain the instructions to add the estimated penalty.

Thanks for the help - trust restored. 😄

srp3
Returning Member

I get the same error resulting in a $317 overpayment. I have nothing entered under Line 38 in my hand calculation form. My tax liability and total taxes paid also match TurboTax's output.

$33,036 - $21,753 = $11,283 NOT $11,600

Check your software, TurboTax.

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 12.50.32 PM.png

Did you check the actual 1040?  Check line 38.  

srp3
Returning Member

I see Line 38 and that TurboTax is calculating the penalty. However, the explanation provided by TurboTax is still incorrect: My tax owed was not calculated by subtracting the total taxes paid by the tax liability. It was calculated by subtracting the total taxes paid AND the penalty by the tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies