turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8915-E is available today from IRS. When will the program make it available for me to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

54 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E is available today from IRS. When will the program make it available for me to file?

The 8915-E Form is projected to be e-fileable starting 02/24/2021, unfortunately.  As of today 2/12/2021, IRS just completed its final development of the 2020 version of this form.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Form 8915-E

The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS website.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8915-E on TurboTax e-file as  02/24/2021.  Thank you for your patience.

If you are under age 59 1/2, the distribution from the retirement plans and IRAs is considered as an early withdrawal.  Generally, you will pay both regular tax plus an additional 10% penalty of your entire distribution unless you met certain criteria.  Due to the CARES Act, if your retirement distribution is related the Covid-19, you will not be liable for this additional penalty.  You will still pay the normal taxes like your wages and income.  For more information from the IRS, click here: Covid Relief.  If your distribution is not related to the Covid, you will need to pay the penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why is it available on TaxAct and FreeTaxUSA and few others? I have been with Turbo over 15 years and I filed under Taxact to see the difference and I'm blown away. Whats happening 

Anonymous
Not applicable

10 days to update this simple form?  I am going to have to try another platform if it isn't quicker.  With possible new stimulus checks being based on last year vs this years income, there is no time to waste!

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

When you claim a qualified COVID-19 disaster during the interview for your 1099-R, TurboTax states: 

• You will need to revisit this area.  The IRS instructions related to disaster distributions were not ready in time for us to include them in this release.  Please revisit this area later. 

This TurboTax Help allows you to sign up for notifications for when the IRS form 8915-E is operational.

Forms availability can be found here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently, other tax platforms have this form ready.  

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Nott much longer.  Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be e-fileable starting 2/24.  The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

They do your right. Taxation FreeTaxUsa and TaxSlayer.. its about the software what they will attach when transmitting our returns. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It is being prepared for release. Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be ready for e-file starting February 24th.  It was recently moved out of the draft form by the IRS.

Like you @Mommyof3, I have used TT a very long time but this past weekend I was reading through Reddit and noticed several users stating that FreeTaxUSA had the 8915-E form available and ready for e-filing. Yesterday, I decided to see for myself and sure enough it is on there and I was able to file my taxes for free and being able to go ahead and file them using my lower income numbers for 2020 should also allow me to receive any new stimulus or economic impact payments that get approved. The only part that will not be free is the state tax return.

You are right. Next year I will use something else after 20 some years.

bigrigray

This form will be ready for e-file and print on 2/25/2021

echoes35
Returning Member

Today is Feb 25, 2021, when will this 8915-E form be available in TurboTax so I may finish my 2020 tax return.

echoes35
Returning Member

today is 2/26/21 and still no form to file Covid-19 related IRA withdrawls.

Yes the 8915-E form is now in both the online and desktop versions.      If you are desktop then update the software with today's update.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies