Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ptrck
Returning Member

Form 8839

Turbo Tax is making me complete form 8839 for qualified adoption expenses. I assume because my employer reimbursed me part of my adoption expenses through their employee adoption assistance program. However, I do not have any “qualified” adoption expenses that would go on IRS form 8839 because my adoption was a “step-parent” adoption and the IRS does not consider expenses paid for adopting a spouses child eligible. Why didn’t turbo tax ask me is my adoption was a step parent adoption before making me fill in information for this form? How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Form 8839

Employer-provided adoption benefits are shown in Box 12 of your Form(s) W-2 (code T), which triggered Form 8839. Since adopting stepchildren are not considered a qualified expense, you will not be able to exclude the employer-provided benefits from your income. You can delete Form 8839 if it is not needed. 

To remove Form 8839, please follow these steps:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click on Delete a Form
  4. Scroll down to Form 8839 and click Delete

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8839

I have adoption subsidy reimbursement from my employer, but there has not been a placement yet for a child. So, there is no child to add on Form 8839. I have attempted to delete Form 8839 and it deletes. However, when I run smart check errors at the end, it shows several errors and makes me complete Form 8839 again.

Ptrck
Returning Member

Form 8839

I resolved this problem. As it pertains to step parent adoptions, there are no “qualified expenses” but child is still a “qualified child”.  So I completed the form with child’s information and put zero in for expenses.

When completing the form this way, my refund neither went up or down ...and the separate check that I received from my employer for the adoption was less than the number reported in box 12 coded T, so this leads me to believe it was taxed appropriately.

Form 8839

My adoption is not related to step-children. I'm trying to figure out how to submit the return without including a child's name on Form 8839. We are in the adoption process and have not been matched/placed yet, so there is no child to enter.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Form 8839

Please see the Link below for instructions.

If the eligible child is a U.S. citizen or resident, you can take the adoption credit or exclusion even if the adoption never became final. Take the credit or exclusion as shown in the following table.

When you can take the adoption credit or exclusion depends on whether the eligible child is a citizen or resident of the United States (including U.S. possessions) at the time the adoption effort began (domestic adoption). Child who is a U.S. citizen or resident (U.S. child). If the eligible child is a U.S. citizen or resident, you can take the adoption credit or exclusion even if the adoption never became final. Take the credit or exclusion as shown in the following table.

Instructions for Form 8839

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies