Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 1116 Schedule B is not a/v this year for e-filing (for foreign tax credit carryover to next year)

Deleted this post, because it is no longer relevant

Form 1116 Schedule B is not a/v this year for e-filing (for foreign tax credit carryover to next year)

In addition to my post above, I am a bringer of good news. I just saw this on the website. Form 1116 Sch B will be available for e-filing on 11th March 2022

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

Federal Individual Form Availability, Print, E-file
Form 1116 Sch B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule for AMT, 03/10/2022, 03/11/2022

@marcuscato I loved your post.  It has application far beyond this issue and I am going to take it very much to heart and see how I can implement in my life.  Thank you so much for it.

And if TT really pulls off March 11 that will be amazing and most, but not all, will be forgiven.  See!  I still have a lot of work to do with getting my inner wolf under control.

Thanks so much for making my day - twice!

@marcuscato Thanks for both of your posts.  That's good news! Hope they deliver.

Hello all, I posted two other threads related to form 1116 which may be useful to you in case you are running into same situation as mine (multiple foreign countries and simplified AMT):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-simplified-alternative-minimum-tax-amt-in-cont...

and

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-form-1116-foreign-tax-country-for-divide...

Pls let me know if you know the answers or just follow along in case someone else does.

@Daffodill @crsimon53 @DianeW @tagteam @turquoise19 @pete39 @pruizjunco @annajoe803 

Thanks.  Your information is totally correct.   I opened TurboTax this morning (mac version) and Schedule B is now available.  E-filing allowed.  

TT updated this morning so I updated my foreign tax info and 1116 Schd B is populated in Forms.  Error check = 0 errors but I can't efile. When I hit the the File Returns  button I get the following error: 

"We can't e-file your return because we are unable to located the attachment at /attachment/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf Please go back and re-attach it. then try e-filling again."

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: THe answer is here at the bottom of the page: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/2021-form-1116-schedule-b-carryo...

Hi @sg98942 can you confirm you were able to e-file, and did not hit any glitches all the way until the end?

@Naranja which version are you using? Mac or Web? 

I'm using the Mac version.  It's showing no errors and ready to e-file, but I haven't hit the transmit button yet as I want to double check all my informaiton.  

Hi, I'm using Turbotax on a windows machine. No glitches till the error message when I tried to file. I saved a pdf of the schedule B as instructed in the link I added in my  post above and was able to efile

Just a thought - Why not remove the foreign tax credit carry forward and thus the schedule and e-file. Then before April 15 file an amended return on paper adding back the FTC. That way you get the full refund now and let them have 12 months to work on processing your paper.

@HBerkley this option has been discussed. Pls see one of my early posts. Also, at this time, it is better to try to get the Form 1116 Schedule B in, with or without workarounds, than to get into the amendment. Amendment may have unforeseen issues. 

@Naranja @sg98942 if you run into attachment issues on Windows/Mac looks like you have to just download the Form 116 Schedule B as PDF into either C:\attachment\Form1116ScheduleB.pdf folder on Windows or the /User/<username/attachments/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf folder on Mac.

Does anyone know if TurboTax online/web users are facing the same glitch with attachments?

The prescribed work around didn't work for me until I realized that my default data drive is D: (on Windows) and not the standard C:.  Once I created an attachment folder at the root of D: and put the form in there as a PDF it uploaded fine.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

It gave me option to e-file today, but I haven't hit the final button to send in the return as  I want to double check all my information first.  

@marcuscato @sg98942 @HBerkley @Naranja @Daffodill 

Form 1116-B and Online Turbo Tax

All, I thought this message could turn out to be useful to you. This morning after my coffee and encouraged (not to say energized) by all the great replies rapidly populating this thread... I decided to go ahead and give my tax filing one more try.

Enthusiastic like a Don Quixote (I am French... so never quite understood the x in Don Quixote.... been told it is old Spanish) , I went ahead and started to fill out the various questions regarding foreign tax credit online. (Must repeat here that I am using the TT online)

Once the interview was completed, I started to feel anxious again. @marcuscato I still need to apply your mythical animal philosophy in my personal life. I tried (really) but 1 week is probably not enough to master it completely. 

The reason for my distress is that whatever number I reported in the carryover form questionnaire... my federal refund staid the same which led me to think that TT was not accounting for it

I am now at lost and not certain I should push the e-file button... which may or may not result in an improper filing.

I will apply the blind tortoise philosophy... wait a little with the hope that someone help me answer the following two questions:

1- Anybody here trying to file form 1116-B with the online TT? 

2- Would you suggest I revert to the 70$ desktop version... seems to be quite old fashion but my dad would be proud of me for using a CD?

3- Can someone on this thread positively say that he/she has been able to e-file with form 1116-B and if so which which version of TT was used? Online/Desktop CD/Downloaded .exe 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies