Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FORM 1099G Maryland

I've entered the amount found box 2, but not clear what to enter at " Total of all your payments and withholdings".  Is this information to be found on my 1099G that I don't see, or on my W2, and if so, at which box? Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

FORM 1099G Maryland

This is asking you to enter the total taxes you paid to Maryland for the same tax year as the refund (this includes withholdings as well as estimated tax and other payments).

You can get this amount from your 2020 Maryland return for the tax year of the refund. Look for a line near the bottom, often bolded, that includes the phrase total payments (for example, "Total payments and refundable credits," "These are your total payments," or similar wording). For Form 502 for 2020, check Line 44

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FORM 1099G Maryland

For year 2020,  MD form 502 at line 44 there's a figure of 5039. Is that the number  I'm supposed to enter in the field of "Total of all your payments and withholdings? 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

FORM 1099G Maryland

Yes, the amount of Line 44 is what you are supposed to enter.

FORM 1099G Maryland

Thanks..I choose NONE from the below, but wondering if that's correct? I got a refund but don't recall the others applying 

Did Any of These Apply to You?

(These aren't common.)

I made my 4th quarter estimated tax payment for my 2020 Maryland taxes after December 31 , 2020

C] I sent in a payment with my 2020 Maryland tax extension request

I made a payment when I filed my 2020 Maryland tax return

C] I applied some or all of my 2020 Maryland refund toward 2021 estimated tax

None of the above

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

FORM 1099G Maryland

If you do not remember making an estimated tax payment, filing an extension on your tax return, applying some of your refund toward 2021, or making additional payments, then it is likely None of the Above

Your refund will only be taxable if all three of the following are true:

• You itemized deductions last year, instead of taking the standard deduction
  • You claimed state and local income taxes (not general sales taxes)
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill

Even when your refund is taxable, it may not be the entire amount. It depends on how much the deduction affected your refund or tax bill. TurboTax will calculate the taxable amount for you.

@Dsf4man

FORM 1099G Maryland

Looking at my 1040 2020 I did itemize. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

FORM 1099G Maryland

If you itemized in 2020, then your refund in 2021 will likely be taxable. Follow the prompts on the screens and TurboTax will calculate the taxable amount of your refund for you. 

@Dsf4man

FORM 1099G Maryland

I used turbotax in 2020 but for whatever reason that return isn’t on my computer but I printed.  Believe that Schule A was done because I have stocks sold with short term gain, so think I had to itemize but none of the 3 apply so what so should I select No?

Did I have to itemize your deductions in 2020

It’s the 3 reason why you did.

1. State or local return
  2. Spouse did
  3. Dual status of alien
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

FORM 1099G Maryland

If you have Schedule A in your 2020 return then you itemized deductions. Answer NO to Did You Have to Itemize Your Deductions in 2020? unless you were required to itemize deductions because of the situations listed in TurboTax:

1. You chose itemized deductions so you could itemize deductions on a state return
  2. You filed separately and your spouse itemized deducitons
  3. You are a dual-status alien

FORM 1099G Maryland

If I select NO, it takes me down the path of entering numbers next to the standard deduction, but I itemized. Would it be safe to assume that it was due to my State filing and how to confirm? As I stated, I'm working from the hard copy of 2020 return because unable to loaded my Turbo Tax 2020 file 

FORM 1099G Maryland

Thanks for all of your assistance, but still at a loss as how to proceed from previous post. I hope at some point the software will get me back on track to where I feel confident in my answer. I'm still awaiting more tax docs, so am in no rush.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

FORM 1099G Maryland

You are selecting 'No' because you didn't HAVE to itemize, you CHOSE to itemize because it gave you the best deduction on your return.  So do enter NO and then follow the prompts through so that it sets up what is taxable for you.

FORM 1099G Maryland

I've hit another snag - all because it can't locate my 2020 return, so working from the hard copy..glad I printed. Am at the Report 2020 Return information

I have data for the first 3 fields, but don't have Schedule 2  form for the next. I have other forms, but none say Schedule 2. I've place zero for now, please once again advise. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

FORM 1099G Maryland

If you don't have a schedule 2 that printed then you had no need to fill one out because every number on it was zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies