Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099-S

I received a 1099-S from the sale of a vacant piece of property. Everything one is telling me to use the search tab for "1099-S, Sale of property other than main home" but nothing comes up.  The instructions on the 1099-S form says to use Form 4747 or 6252, but that is not coming up either. What are my options?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-S

Enter sale of land in the investment section:

Sale of land gets reported in TurboTax as a sale of an investment.

Please follow the following steps to record the sale in TurboTax:

• Withing your return, select Federal tax
  • Select Wages and Income
  • On Your Income page, click Start button for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bond, Other
  • On Did you sell any investments in 2021?, click on Yes button
  • On next page, answer whether or not you received a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for the sale
  • On next page, Choose the type of investment you sold, select radio button for Land and click on Continue button
  • Enter the details of your land sale on the next page Enter Land Sale Information and click on Continue button
  • On next page, select radio button for the way you acquired the land and click on Continue button
  • Enter Cost Information, enter Date Acquired and Original Cost and click continue basis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 1099-S

I had the same problem. Took me a while to sort it out.

Using Step-by-Step go to Investment Income (1099-B or broker statements), first item under there is Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other; you add it there. Click Update or Start, which ever is displayed. Click the Add More Sales button at the bottom left to add the 1099-S info. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies