turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign earned income tax credit

I have foreign earned income in 2020 that cannot be excluded (I wasn't physically abroad long enough). So I want to take the paid foreign income tax as credit.

I'm using TurboTax Premier, when I go to "Deductions & Credits" -> "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" -> "Foreign Tax Credit", I realize that I need to include the income a second time under "Other Gross Income" for that country, otherwise the tax credit will not apply. This is confusing because I have already entered this foreign earned income in the "Wages & Income" stage.

Please let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@hotpxl , you may still be able to exclude the foreign earned income -- depends on the exact situation -- was this  your last year of foreign work or was this the first year?  Are you still abroad?  Did you return ( if you have return  for one of the special reasons  or what ?  Which country?  Are you US citizen/Resident( Green Card ) ?

I returned already, and not because of special circumstances, and don't fall into the COVID-19 exemption periods either. I read the instructions and am pretty sure it's not excludable

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies