Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kzel

efile rejected - AGI rejected

First time efiling - confirmation 2019 AGI was correct - even checked IRS.gov files and copy of file mailed last year.  2019 tax and 2020 tax returns prepared with turbo tax.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file again.  If that is also rejected you will have to print and mail the tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Same problem here. I erased the number and manually typed the same one over it. Also waited until February 12 to resubmit as there had been a report that the IRS would accept returns on Feb 12. We'll see what happens, I just this minute resubmitted. Who wants to mail them when it can take a month for them to reach destination

kzel

Just to clarify ... reentered just the amount of AGI on file, no punctuation.  turbotax added , and . -- if that is a problem, turbo tax needs to fix.  we'll see how long it takes IRS to respond.  don't think zero will work as all the 2019 information is on the IRS.gov files.  If the 2nd try does not work, then I am filing via paper like I have always done.  

I just tried e-filing (February 22) and had my return rejected for the same reason- 2019 AGI doesn't match (I have double-checked my 2019 TurboTax return as well as through IRS website online.)

EDIT- I just read the following TT support article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

It mentions that if you filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time, try entering 0 as your AGI. I filed in early April last year, but did not receive my federal refund until December.

So I just tried again using 0 as AGI. I'll post back with the result, might be useful info for others who filed on time but still may need to enter 0 as AGI.

It took a combination of witchcraft and sorcery, but after about 5 attempts my federal return was accepted. Initially my return was rejected with my actual 2019 AGI, or with '0' entered (I tried that because I filed on time but didn't get my federal refund until December.) But I think it was the following combination that did it for me:

1. In the 'Let's Get Ready to File Your Return' section, you can review various choices including identity verification. I did that and got the question, 'Did you, or someone on your behalf, file a 2019 tax return with the IRS last year?'

I did indeed, but for some reason TurboTax had 'One of both of us didn't file a return' selected. I believe this may have been because I tried changing my AGI to '0'. I changed the answer to 'We filed a return together'.

With that selected, I kept '0' as my AGI, re-submitted, and my return was just accepted.

So either there was a glitch when I first submitted with '0' as AGI, or going back and making sure I selected 'We filed a return together' was necessary (along with the right AGI.) I don't know if there's some additional flag that TurboTax sends to the IRS with your submission, besides the AGI number itself. If TurboTax assumes entering '0' for AGI means you didn't file a return last year, that may be the problem until you correct it.

I had exactly this problem.  efile was rejected for incorrect AGI. But it was correct.  I also verified my transcript on the IRS.gov site.  It was correct.  

I did see somewhere else that if your return was not confirmed in the IRS system by Nov 2020 you need to enter 0 as the AGI.

I filed a paper return early for 2019 (March 2020) but the IRS didn't process it until Feb 2021 (yes, 2021).

Anyway, entering 0 worked and my efile return was accepted.  It seems odd but it looks like an IRS glitch not a TT one.  

How do you go back to the “let’s get ready to file your tax” section?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online, 

• Sign back into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the top, select File 
  • Follow prompts

@All1208

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can’t find “pick up from where you left off”option. The only thing I see is “Fix my return”. I’ve already filed this year’s return but it was rejected. It keeps telling me that I entered the wrong 2019 AGI . Someone above mentioned that changing the answer to “Did you, or someone on your behalf, file a 2019 tax return with the IRS last year?” helped. But I can’t find that at all.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@All1208 Yes, if you Efiled and your return was Rejected, you need to 'Fix your Return' and Efile again.

Click this link for more info on How to Find Last Year's AGI.

If you didn't file a 2019 return, enter $0 for your AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can check your 2019 AGI on the IRS site just to be sure that you are entering the right amount.  BUT I had exactly this same problem.  I verified and re-verified that the AGI was right and return was still rejected for wrong AGI.  

Somewhere I read that if your return wasn't processed by the IRS by around Nov 2020, you needed to enter AGI of 0

I entered 0 and amazingly my return was accepted.

This is something like the Form 1116 and the Forms 8453/8949 errors that TT should flag for users or flag and fix.  

So much time has been invested by all the frustrated people trying to figure out what's wrong (when TT isn't saying or helping).  

I have just encountered this same problem. Last year we had to mail our returns because of a situation that one of our W2s didn't allow e-filing (though that hadn't been the case in prior years). It was probably late spring/early summer by the time I completed and mailed the return. 

Today I attempted to set up an IRS log in to view my tax account and status. However all of our phone numbers were rejected (?) and the next option was to wait 5-14 days for a USPS mailed code to finalize setting up an account, so the option of viewing the previous year tax return status and when it might have been accepted wasn't desirable.

UPDATE: I just got a confirmation of acceptance, approximately 20 minutes after submitting. Using 0 as AGI apparently worked.

I decided to try submitting with 0 as the AGI in the blanks for both my spouse and myself. The rejection notices came back about 20 minutes after each of the first three attempts at submission, so I'm just waiting to see if I get a rejection notice on number four.

Yes, it would be nice if the options for solving this would be included in TT hints and tips, if not the actual interface, and that might help solve the issues AND avoid frustrations.

Same thing happened to me yesterday/today.  My 2019 Fed taxes were not resolved by the IRS until Feb this year.  I put the correct AGI into TurboTax and like others, went to the IRS website, pulled up my account and verified it.  It was rejected.  Then I put zeros in both my and my wife's 2019 AGI and it worked!  Thanks everyone for the good advice.  It's too bad TurboTax doesn't acknowledge this glitch (either their's or the IRS') and provide guidance.

Thanks again everyone.

I have been using the TT disk version since they took over Parsons many tears ago this year has been a disaster. First it was the Duplicate 1099R issue which got corrected by adding $.01 to one.  Then the AGI issue  IND-031-04 .  I created an IPS logon on and saw my last year (2019 AGI) it was the same as I had entered on the 2020 tax return so there is no discrepancy between the 2 data bases but after transmitting the data to the IRS from TT the error message occurred.  The only logical assumption is TT does not transmit the data correctly since both the input and output are the same number something in the transmission   got changed.  Their solution is to either file with paper or change to the on line process providing more data there is a problem but prefers not to deal with a fix for disk users.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies